Welcome to 100

This party had been in the planning for months. It would start on the eve of their 100th birthday — the two girls who had been inseparable most of their lives, born moments apart on the same day, in the same hospital, had grown into best friends in their teens. They'd made a pact just before their 18th birthdays, to set the same life goal so they would never be apart. And it was a fairly simple goal to achieve, though it would take time. They both wanted to live to 100. Then they would die, moments apart, so they never had to live without the other.

The celebration was going to be a big one. In the past 99 years and 364 days the girls had met many people. They figured it could kill two birds with one stone, quite literally. They'd spend the Friday night celebrating their imminent birthday, and once the clock struck 1am (when they would both officially reach 100 years of age) the mood would turn, and their friends could celebrate their passing.

Everything was in full swing, there were champagne fountains, unlimited amounts of food, created by the greatest caterers in the city, people were dancing, singing, having fun. At the centre of it all, the girls were partying hard, despite their old age. They had always stayed close, feeling like their lives were forever intertwined.

"Ladies, look!" A friend rushed over to them excitedly, pushing one of those new fangled time keepers that glowed in front of them. Confusion clouded their faces in sync. They'd lost track of time. It was 2am. How were they still alive? The party carried on with renewed gusto, people unable to believe they had beaten fate. But suddenly, neither felt like celebrating. They turned on each other, suspicious. Slipping outside, away from the gathered revellers, they wanted to be alone, together.

Each had lived for many years with the guilt of their decision. They were both competitive. Whilst they really did love each other, both had broken their promise made so long ago. It was a secret they had each hoped to carry to their graves. They didn't realise that their betrayal, had made that impossible.

"I aimed to out live you." The eldest admitted, feeling horrible ashamed of her selfish action. She had wanted to remain eldest forever.

"Me too." The younger felt relieved to share the truth. For a long moment they stared at each other, the realisation slowly dawning on them. Their life goals, had made them immortal.