This-Is not a happy story

There's one thing you should know before you read this story.

This is not a happy story.

This is not the story of how two big brothers held their sister close and re-taught her how to walk like they did when she was just a baby.
This isn't the story of how a young girl showed her eldest brother that she could do it—that She could carry on living after a horrible accident and finally gain his love and respect.
This is not the story of how parents' differences were pushed aside to help their baby girl get her life back to normal. This is not a feel good story.

But—I thought it was going to be.

Maybe I should've know it wasn't when the only sound that came to my ears was a heart monitor beeping in the background, telling everyone to enter the room that I was alive. Then came a ceiling fan slowly swishing above my head, sending a cold chill through my body.

I attempted to open both my eyes, but only one lid lifted enough to see the blurred figures of my two brothers sitting at my bed side.

"Genevieve? Are you awake?" My brother Liam's voice came to my ears as his cloudy outline faded away allowing me to see both my big brothers.
"She can't reply to you, Liam." My eldest brother's vocals sarcastically budded into Liam's excitement.

When I fully opened my eyes—That's when I could finally see it. A hospital room, with grey, dreary walls and a brown ceiling fan. White tile floors and a television in front on the bed I lay upon. Grey curtains hung over windows, not quite the color of the walls, a bit lighter, with a stripped pattern running horizontally across the fabric. The sunlight of the outside world was dimmed slightly through the off colored curtains, filling the room with grey sunshine.

To my left, sat my two older brothers, Liam and Ian. Liam holding to my hand tightly, waiting for me to grab back to be reassured that his little sister was still alive. Ian sat at the edge of his seat, but he didn't look worriedly at his baby sister, hoping for her to finally wake up, he looked to our parents. More specifically, he looked to our father—like he was trying to have a conversation with him through dark brown  eyes.

"Where—?" I attempted to speak to my family before my mother's sweet voice cut me off.
"You're in a Caroltin's medical hospital. You got into a car crash, don't you remember?"
I cocked an eyebrow at my mother.
"I don't..."
"You got your self amnesia." Ian's clearly annoyed vocals butted into my slightly derailed train of thought. "Tell her your science junk, Liam." Ian said, shoving his brother a bit with his shoulder.

"He's right, Eve. You got Retrograde amnesia to be precise. It means the last three or four weeks leading up to the crash at gonna be—kinda fuzzy at best." Liam explained, using his left hand to rub the back of his neck as he spoke.

I guess when was when I should've known, that this was not a happy story. Maybe then I should've known by the way that Liam wouldn't look me in the eyes. How his vision jumped from their mother, to their farther, to the plant at the corner of the room, but never to me.

Maybe...

I should've known when I looked to Ian as he described the details of my crash and caught a glimpse in the corner of her eye of Liam; and watched him carefully count on his fingers.

One...

Two...

Three...

Four...

It was clear then as Ian explained how a drunk driver rammed head on into my tiny car while I was going to innocently meet our father for dinner; that Liam.

Liam was lying to me.