Chapter 1

Niall's POV

I open my eyes and I am standing on the edge of a cliff. Then, out of nowhere, there is a slowly increasing buzzing sound. When I look up to the other side of the ravine I notice something weird, it looks as if there is an invisible barrier of some sort, deep in my mind I recognise it but I just can't figure out what it is. The buzzing is getting louder and louder. Deep purple cracks are starting to form in the barrier and it slowly starts falling apart. Then out of nowhere my hands shoot forward and a bright white light shoots towards the barrier. Suddenly my whole body is shaking, as if all its strength is being used. The buzzing is getting so loud it feels like my head is exploding and blood is starting to flow from my ears and nose. I feel my body starting to give up but my mind refuses to quit. I scream it out of utter pain, it's like my whole body is burning, as if struck by lightning, and I can't do anything about it. Then there is a bright purple flash and something lunges at me...

I wake up with my whole body covered in sweat, this is the third time this week that I have had this dream. The weird thing about it is that it feels so real, it feels like it is more than just a dream. I know, I sound crazy, but that's just how it feels. I talked about it with mom but she assured me that it is nothing more than a dream, but something has been odd in her behaviour since I told her about it, like she knows something but is afraid of telling me. Or maybe my brain is just imagining things to fill my boring life with some excitement.

I look around in my room, just a plain room, nothing special except for my Harry Potter collection and my Shawn Mendes posters, the only possessions I value. I look at my alarm clock and see it's already 7 AM. I get out of bed and get ready, putting on some black skinny jeans and a plain blue shirt, nothing special. Then I hear my mom calling me to get downstairs. It's just my mom and me, dad left us when I was only one year old, but we manage just fine together.

When I walk into the kitchen I'm greeted with the sweet smell of freshly baked pancakes, which can only mean one thing, mom got some bad news, really bad news. because it's either that or it's my birthday, but I am pretty sure that is still a month away. ''Hey honey, did you sleep well?'' my mom asks in a tone a bit too sweet for my liking. I decide to go with it. ''Fine, just had that weird dream again.'' For a brief second her expression shows concern but then she smiles again and says the same thing she said the last three times, that it is just a dream. I nod and start eating my pancakes.

But then out of nowhere she says: ''You are going to switch schools.'' I nearly choke on my pancakes. ''wait, what. Why would I have to switch schools?'' I really don't see where this is coming from, my grades aren't that good but hey, they are not bad either and it's not like I did something to get myself in trouble, or did I? I start questioning myself. ''Did I do something wrong? cause if so I would like to know what so I can fix it.'' ''No, it's hard to explain, but believe me, it's for the best.'' I don't like this, why would I go to another school when I don't even get an explanation. ''And which school should I even go to mom? We only have one school in this town and the closest one is at least an hour away by car, which is like one and a half hour by bus since I can't really drive yet.'' ''Well, that's the thing, it is not here in Ireland, but in Sweden.'' At this point I am utterly confused, why would I have to go to another school all of sudden, and not one just here in Ireland, no, all the way over in Sweden. ''No.'' ''Niall..'' ''No mom, I am not going to do that, I am not going to leave this place, my life may not be very exciting, but to move a thousand kilometres all the way to Sweden. That's crazy mom, how can you come up with something like this? And you won't even give me a proper reason.'' She looks at me with a worried expression. ''Because you are in danger, a lot of people are in danger, and this may be the only way to save everyone, to make sure You are save.'' ''Mom, this just doesn't make sense, I am not special or anything, why would I be in danger?'' I am totally lost right now, it's like mom is pulling some weird prank on me or something. ''I'm sorry Niall, but this is the only way, your plane leaves tonight, you have one hour to pack your things, but only one suitcase, nothing more. Everything will be clear once you arrive there''