1. Roots

For some reason I couldn't post the character list first, so go to the next page to see the main characters! Enjoy!

After sitting in the drive through for too long, I decided it was time for me to go inside. Today, I was seeing my aunt for the first time in about a year. I hate that it had been so long, despite our proximity. But, on this day last year I was engaged, living in a nice home, doing what i loved. I had a life.

"How long you plan on sitting in there, girl?" A familiar voice asked. I looked out my window and was pleased to see my best friend from high school, Eric. "Shut up!" I smiled, unlocking the doors. Before I could get out, he slid into the passenger seat. "Nah, for real, you alright? Miss Liz told me about Trey. You need me to beat his ass?" The sound of his name made my heart sink. Anytime I heard it all the events that led to this day replayed in my head. "Well damn, she just telling everybody my business huh..." I muttered. My aunt couldn't hold water. But she was my last resort, so I had to tell her everything. "So I'm just everybody? Bet." Eric joked, pretending to get out the car. I pulled him by his shirt and hugged him tight, trying to hold back tears. "It's just a lot, you know? I haven't even processed it all yet."

"Of course, I understand. But, you know I'm here whenever you're ready to talk about it. " He promised. I didn't doubt for a second he was telling the truth. Eric never lied to me. A part of me wonders why I didn't let what we had go further instead of going out with Trey. That was so long ago though. "I know. Can you help me bring my stuff inside?" Afterwards, he offered to help me unpack, but that was something I needed to do alone. So, I put on some music and got to it. Seeing my aunt again was refreshing. Being away from home so long had me feeling lost. I definitely wasn't myself. When Trey and I dated everything was okay, but being engaged was a whole other story. It was like I was his property, and I should've seen the signs. I thought his possessiveness was cute, but later realized it was nothing but guilt.

"Ari!" My cousin Kalani exclaimed, bursting into my room. I tried to match her energy as she pulled me into her arms. "I missed you so much, girl." I told her. No matter how happy I was to see my cousin again, there was still the elephant in the room. But, knowing Kalani, she wouldn't mention it until I did. Meaning it would never be talked about. "I missed you, too! You have to come out with me tonight. One of the artists Eric worked with is hosting at Vibez and we're all going to support." The old me would've agreed without hesitation. "I'll think about it. I have a lot of unpacking to do, and I'm a little tired from the drive..." But instead I gave a sad excuse. "I understand." It was the second time that someone had said that to me today. Although I believed their intentions were pure, I wondered if they even knew what they were saying. How could they understand before I did? I was still sitting here at the dinner table, ring on my finger, hoping he'd call me and say it was all a joke. But, I knew it wasn't realistic. I saw her swollen belly, their home, I remember waking up next to a cold spot and him coming home at 4 am. And as if the universe decided to give me another "fuck you", I got an instagram dm from no other than treytoosmooth. I didn't open it immediately. "How's the food?" My aunt, Joy asked. "Great. It feels good to have a home cooked meal." Once I was finished I decided I was ready to check the dm.

when you plan on giving me my ring?

Reading this message evoked a feeling that wasn't sadness. Anger. I got up from the table and sped to my room. Once the door was closed I let out tears of frustration. So many thoughts ran through my head. Like, you take everything from me, the least you could do is let me keep the one thing I thought was mine. My phone rang and although the number wasn't saved I recognized who it was. This only made me more mad, causing me to take the ring off and throw it at my phone.

And that's how I ended up in Waffle House at 11pm with Kalani, Eric and some people I never met. I decided the best thing for me tonight was to forget everything, be out my body. I was taking every drink handed to me, any blunt, a pill or two, I didn't care. And I wore something that made me feel good.

"Look who decided to show up

"Look who decided to show up." Eric said when I arrived. "You know I had to come support." I replied. "You look like you tryna be taken home too. Good God!" Kalani added, causing some people to look at us. "Shut up," I chuckled. "What are we waiting for?" Before Eric could get his words out, Kalani interjected. "Eric's stupid ass friends."

"Why they all got to be stupid, though? Just 'cause of Matty?"

"Yes!"

The rest of their conversation became a blur as three guys walked in. Although their were three, my eyes were stuck on one. He was tall, caramel skinned with long braids. Somehow he managed to be dressed casually, but still clean.

Eric greeted them first, then brought them over by Kalani and I

Eric greeted them first, then brought them over by Kalani and I. "Ya'll this my best friend, Ari. She rolling with us tonight." He said. Q and Devin introduced themselves first. "Jojo." The guy with braids said as we shook hands. Since everyone was together, Eric got an Uber and we headed to Vibez.

I realized about an hour in that I was getting ahead of myself. I had a few too many drinks, and as a way to balance it off I decided to find someone with weed. After walking around for a minute I almost gave up. Until I noticed Jojo outside, smoke surrounding him. "You don't like parties?" I asked. "Grew out of all that." He explained. "Already? You can't be that old." I joked, laughing too hard. He simply smirked, letting out a small laugh. "So where you come from? I never seen you 'round here before."

"I'm from here, I just been gone for a few years. Long story."

"We got time." Jojo said, finally passing me the wood. I didn't plan on telling him how my fiance got another girl pregnant and kicked me out of our house. Something saved me from having to, because Kalani and the others came and dragged us inside. Safe to say I was successful in being out my body tonight because I don't remember a thing. All I recall is waking up with my head on Jojo's shoulder. I was so embarrassed, when it was time to get out the car I fled quickly.