chapter 1

" The exercise is beginning, please wait a moment for the simulation to activate." a female voice was heard from above. Chihaya looked around, scared to death. She had only memorised the a few incantations for the basic kido and her skill to wield her zanpukuto was average. She thought if there was anyone who would fail, it would be her.

" Hahaha, Arata good luck on the test. I bet he would be the first to run when he encounters a hollow." Taichi jeered. " I mean, i bet he barely knows any kido or mastered using the zanpakuto!" everyone laughed, some pointing at Arata while doing so.

" Shut up, Taichi. I don't undertand what you have against the guy. He is just a newbie! Cut him some slack!" Chihaya burst out. Arata stared at the oranged-haired girl, surprised at the amount of conviction in her eyes. He was shocked that someone would stand up for him, especially someone he barely knew the name of.

" Chihaya, why are are siding with Glasses? He is lousy, nerdy..." Taichi shouted, cut off by the howl of a hollow. He turned behind to find himself staring at a large black octopus-like creature, with a skull-shaped mask and a hole right where the heart was at. He could feel his legs tremble in fear as the hollow let out yet another horrible howl.

" That is nothing like the pictures we have seen so far." Chihaya thought as she stared, horrified at the hollow. Pimple like lumps formed on its head, shooting out at random areas. A few trainees were hit, the sight was terrible. They collapsed, layed motionless until they rose. It was horrible, the lump attached itself to them and seemed to control them.

" Hainawa!" Chihaya looked around to see who casted the kido, it was Taichi. He had immobiled a trainee who was being controlled.

The original formation was broken and everyone was either running or trying to fight. " How could one hollow be so had to purify?" Chihaya thought as she forced herself to remember the incantation for hainawaas someone attacked her. She was unwilling to draw her zanpukuto against a fellow shimigami trainee.

" Sorry," the controlled boy said as he pushed Chihaya down and started to strangle her. She was starting to blank out when she shouted,

" Sai!" The boy's arms were locked at his back and Chihaya used the back of her zanpukuto to knock him out. She heaved a sign of relief and turned to find 3 trainees attacking Taichi.

" Disintegrate, you black dog of Rondanini!! Look upon yourself with horror and then claw out your own throat! Geki!" Arata casted, helping Taichi.

" Don't expect me to stop picking on you." Taichi said, embarrassed to be saved by him.