Dear Juliet,

August 2nd, 1966

You'll never know. When we would sneak away from the world and talk all night about nothing, it was everything. Never would I have thought these feelings would add up to being you. For so long I've wanted to let my feelings out, but they've always been so raw and unorganized. Also, what people would think ping pongs thru my brain.

Never telling you stems from being a girl and just not having the confidence. Every time I brought myself to explode with feelings, I simply can't. You'd lay on my chest and we'd stare up at the stars. It reminds me of your brown eyes and the sparkles inside. You never liked your eyes though, you think they're just brown. You'll never know just how beautiful your brown eyes are.

You'll never know how much I appreciated those soft, black curls. You never would have thought that squint you do when you can't see, was so cute to me. You'll never even know how nervous I was when you asked to be my friend. I've spent years alone Etti, and I don't wanna anymore.

I'm being sent to war in a week. I'm not even sure if you will receive this letter, nor if I will return. I'm sending it to the old address you gave to me if I ever needed to talk to you, of course, we were kids when you gave me it. You'll never know how much hearing that made me happy.

It's been a long journey with you and this isn't the end. You'll just never know how much your attitude and shyness mix into one, making your consistent moods. You'll never know how much your words play in my head, constantly. The last vocals that fell from your lips run thru my heartstrings. You, Juliet, will never know how much you mean to me.

Your best friend, Payton.

6 months later...

The door of a red and white 1965 Chevy Impala creaks open as a young woman with red sunglasses stepped out. She pulled the glasses off her dark face and squinted at the house with a woman standing at the door.

"Hey, Deary!" The womans old, crackly voice croaked as she pulled her into a hug.

"Hi grandma, I missed you!" The girl put her arms under the woman. "Ooh, I almost forgot to tell you, a letter came for you about six and a half months ago." As the words came out of the grandma's mouth the girl stood silent. Her grandmas' weak body shuffled over to a drawer by the door as she placed her hand in the cabinet and pulled out a pale envelope. Written on it were the words What She Will Never Know in cursive, black ink.

Epilogue

The girl who wrote this letter, Ebony "Payton" Lawrence, died in battle only 3 days before Juliet read it. For the rest of her life, Juliet believed she was the most beautiful girl in the world.