01

❁•❁•❁

❝Perhaps our eyes need to be washed by our tears once in a while, so that we can see life with a clearer view again.❞

❁•❁•❁

This had been a ritual for me. I would grab my lunch from my locker, quickly and quietly walk into the bathroom, and stay in the stall for the period eating a cracker or two if I got hungry.

People were my biggest fear, so I would hide. But today, I wasn't the only one hiding.

Today was different.

❁•❁•❁

❝Scarlett, wake up you're gonna be late for school!❞ Mom said at 7:30. I had already been awake though, I woke up at 6:00 every morning. Mom was becoming more forgetful by each day.

“I'm already up Mom,” I respond walking into her room. She was laying in her bed, the duvet cover wrapped around her.

“Oh.” She answered, and slightly smiled. She scratched her head confusingly, and looked over at me. “You look beautiful, as always.”

“Thanks Mom,” I reply and smile. She nods at me, and sits up on her bed, the cover still wrapped around her.

“Well, I'm gonna go now.” I say, positioning my backpack on my shoulder. “Alright, have a nice day,” she says and smiles again.

I wave, and walk out of her room. I then walk outside to my beat-up Chevrolet and start the car. It wasn't in the best condition, but I don't need a Ferrari when all I really do is use it to go to school.

When I finally make it to school, I park in my usual spot, and walk into the school unnoticed, like usual.

❁•❁•❁

The school bell rings, giving an indication that it was time for lunch. I reluctantly walk out of class and over to my locker. I fiddle around with my lock just to waste some time.

Once my locker finally opens, I grab my backpack since I don't want to be questioned as to why I'm bringing a lunch box into a bathroom.

I walk into the large handicap stall, lock it, and rummage through my bag to get my water bottle out. I finally find it and look up to see–

Drew Walker?

I'm prepared to scream, until he covers my mouth with his hand to prevent me from doing so.

“W-w-what?” I stutter. I'm not very good in social situations, especially when a guy is in a girls’ stall.

I attempt to unlock the the stall door, but he covers that with his hand also. He looks as shocked as me.

“Look, I need your help.” He says.

“What?” I repeat, trying my best not to stutter.

“So basically, this girl, Rebecca Halter? She's been following me all day.” I cringe at her name. “She thinks I'm going to take her to prom or something. But prom is two months away, and she literally makes my ears bleed.”

I slightly chuckle. My mind thinks of something witty to say, but my social anxiety takes over so I end up staying silent.

“So you ended up hiding in the girls bathroom, trying to hide from her?” I ask, and he nods. “Kinda dumb, no offense.”

“True. But I don't think she'd come looking for me in the girls’ bathroom anyways. And well now, I'm obviously stuck.” He responds, and shrugs.