The Perfect Date

Dear love, 

You asked me not too long ago what I saw in my future. I think I'm ready to tell you. 

Twinkling lights decorate the night sky as we lay on the soft, grassy field. Our fingers are intertwined as you hum the melody of my favorite song. Your eyes follow my gaze and I can't help the small smile that forms on my lips as I take in the perfect moment. It's so simple really. You and I surrounded by nothing but the kiss of the night. 

You draw circles on the back of my hand as you point at a shooting star, and I barely just catch the tail of it. You notice the tiny frown form on my lips and an amused chuckle fills the air.

"I'll make a wish for the both of us", you promise as you pull me up to sit beside you. 

You drape an arm around my shoulder holding me closer yet as I sigh in satisfaction. I rest my head against your chest and I can hear your heart beat pick up, letting me know you're as content as I am to just be here with you. Just the thought alone awakens the sleeping butterflies in my belly. As I take it all in I ask myself how I could ever be so lucky. 

You ask me to accompany you and refuse to say any more, instead you give me a cheeky grin. The moon lights up the path ahead as we take in the scenery. Flower beds decorate our path beautifully and the cricket noises that fill the air only heighten the mystery of your surprise. 

Finally, an opening through the thickets tells us we're here. You help me through, right before I stop dead in my tracks and a small gasp escapes my mouth. The soft sounds of the waves  before us fill my ears, but that's not what shocks me. Candle lights form a path leading to a table set up right under a canopy which overlooks the great, endless ocean. Cloth lanterns hang from the trees surrounding us. 

I walk further in noticing all of my favorite foods spread across the table. You've cooked for me even though I know that kind of gesture isn't like you, and the thought warms my heart. Everything is perfect. I spin slowly wanting to engrave this moment in my heart forever and stop when I come face to face with you. You're standing just a few inches away staring at me with the most adoring eyes before you wrap your hands around my waist.

"Claire, you and I were not meant to be just best friends, we were made for each other. Will you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?"

And as I look up at you, the answer becomes quite clear. You have always shown me kindness and love and I can't imagine being with someone other than you.  My answer is, yes.