bike

So one Monday morning, I set out early on my bike. Looking back on it now, I'm surprised that I stuck with it. I had no mentors really, no one to advise me or offer suggestions. I had to discover everything the hard way. That first morning I set out fully dressed in my office attire. Now I ride in comfortable shorts and change upon arriving at work. If I had to carry something, I put it in a backpack, arriving with a perspiration soaked back. Now I have a rear rack and panniers. One morning after a rainstorm, I thought: "Hey, the rain's over, I'll be OK." Now I know the worst feature of wet weather cycling isn't the precipitation that falls down; it's the muck that splashes up.

Many years later, I can't imagine traveling to work any other way than by bicycle. I don't waste a second stuck in traffic. No long waits for an oil change, a car wash, service from a parts store or a muffler shop. I spend precisely no time filling my gas tank every week. Parking is a snap. My fitness is excellent without spending endless, boring hours on a stairmaster, a treadmill or -- ugh -- a stationary cycle. There are no payments for car loans, insurance, parking, registration, tolls, fines, and tow charges. Instead of enduring frequent episodes of "road rage," I enjoy lots of fresh air. I frequently find things in the street: tools, toys, money. (Mostly coins, though I once found $463 in cash, pocketed after unsuccessful attempts to return.) I arrive at work, flush with a heady endorphin rush, feeling fit and ready to be productive.

Nothing has enhanced my life as much as the decision to start bike commuting. I've stopped smoking, I don't drink any more, and I'm always outdoors. I'm saving money, I feel all self-righteous about not polluting, and I can eat plenty without worrying about getting fat. (Well, sort of.) And, in general, I arrive at just about any city destination faster than if I'd driven. I discovered ways to combine bikes and transit for fun weekend travel out of town.

It's easy to start traveling by bicycle. After all, more of the world's workers get to their jobs by bike than by car. The challenge is sticking with it.

Just about any bicycle will work for commuting. I've traveled to work on a mountain bike, a road bike, a hybrid, and even a fat-tired cruiser. The important thing is to get a bike you feel comfortable on. Find a reputable bike shop, consult with the sales staff, think about how you might use the bike, how far you'll be going, what you might need to carry, what conditions you'll be riding in, and so on. My present commuting bike is a hybrid, which I'd recommend for most everyday urban riding needs.

In much of the world -- in such countries as Japan, China or Holland -- the bicycle is valued as a utilitarian vehicle. And bikes sold in those countries come equipped with fenders, bells, lights, kick-stands, racks, and, very important, chainguards.

In the US the bicycle is generally considered a toy, a recreational device, or as exercise equipment. Something you load on top of your car, like skis or a surfboard, and travel to some remote area to "play." That's why bike shops are filled with mountain bikes. They thrive on selling the "sport" of cycling. Travel they leave to other vehicle retailers, i.e. auto dealerships. This is a big mistake.

Don't buy a mountain bike just because the sales person has lots of them to sell. Mountain bikes are fine for many things, even commuting. However, most people never get near a trail with their mountain bike. Those fat knobby tires may really dig into the dirt on a stretch of fire road. But they add lots of rolling resistance on pavement. (They might suggest that the knobby tires are more "flat resistant." Don't believe it. I can tell you from experience that large glass fragments, nails and pushpins can puncture mountain bike tires too. As you'll see later, flats are really no big deal.)

If you think most of your riding will be done on asphalt streets, then consider a hybrid, touring, or a road bike. They're generally made with larger, easier rolling wheels, with street "slicks" or other tire made for riding on pavement, and offer a longer wheelbase for a more comfortable ride. The bike pictured here, inspired by European commuting bikes, is set up well for everyday travel.