The Confession

"Phoebe, to be honest, at first I thought that we'd have a connection with you, and not your sister. You've helped us a lot. I've got a lot of things on my mind, and you've helped to sort us out." I explain to Phoebe, whilst studying spells.

"Felix, are you flirting with me?" Phoebe asks me. I make a gagging sound.

"No." I reply. "As much as I like you, it would never be in that way. For two reasons."

"And what would they be?" She wonders aloud, raising her eyebrows at me.

"Well for one, you're like, old - er than me... and two, Phoebe I'm gay."

Shit. I just told Phoebe that I'm gay. I saw her eyebrows rise further up her forehead.

"Err, I mean... I didn't mean to tell you that. Please don't tell the others." I beg her with my hands clasped together.

"Deal." She answers. "We'll just keep this between you and me Felix."

Sam walks in. Great timing, Sammy.

"Keep what between you?" He asks.

"Nothing. That's why it's between us." Phoebe blurts out quickly.

Sam sighs, then flashes his white teeth at me. He picks up his skate board then heads into the back of the shop.

Phoebe sighs. I look down at my shoes and scratch the back of my neck awkwardly. I realise how long my hair is.

Phoebe catches me looking at my hair.

"I'll take you for a haircut if you want. In fact, you could all do with one. Andy's hair keeps falling into his eyes."

I press my lips together and smile. "Thanks Phoebe."

I pull up my skinny jeans then run to the back of the shop. I sniff.

"On second thoughts Phoebe, do you have a shower?"

Phoebe rolls her eyes at me and gestures to a door the opposite side of the counter.

I find a small room with a single shower in. Something soft hits the back of my head. It's a towel.

"Thought you might need it." Phoebe says, then saunters back into the shop.

"Yeah. Thanks Phoebe!" I shout back.

I pull my phone out of my back pocket then switch on some music. Not the unmaking spell this time, just to be safe.

I twist on the water then pull of my clothes. The water's only lukewarm so I don't take long. There's some herby shampoo and shower stuff that I borrow. Phoebe won't mind. She's got tons of the stuff.

I get out and tie the towel round my waist. I turn of my music, grab my stuff and slide on my shoes. I nod to Phoebe as I jog to the back of the shop again.

Andy, Sam and Jake are resting in random places in the room.

Jake looks up at me. "Ah, I've been dying for a shower."

"No chance. I get next shower." Sam challenges him. "Shall I ask Phoebe for a towel or should I use that one?" Sam asks stupidly.

"Well I'm not exactly wearing any undies so..." I shrug at him.

"Right." Sam says and runs back to the front of the shop.

I start pulling my clothes back on under the towel round my waist.

"We should probably fork out for some new clothes too. I bet our clothes smell as bad as us." Jake States.

Andy nods in agreement and I pull on my t-shirt.

"I'm so bored!" Andy says what we were all thinking.

"Felix do you do sports?" Jake asks me.

Andy sighs. "I hate sports!"

"Not now nerd! Well? Do you?"

I shrug. "Not really. I used to run, climb. With Oscar. That's it. Why?"

Jake stands up, walks over to me then says "Race me."

"What?" I ask, but Jake is pulling my arm. When we get out of the shop, he lines us up then counts down from three.

When he shouts to go, I start running, and I can catch up to him quite easily.

We stop when we get to the wall and Jake gives me a funny look.

"What?!" I ask again.

"Dude you're good at running!" Jake grins at me.

I shake my head and sigh. Jake and I are both sweating. He runs and hand through his hair, then as we walk back to the shop he starts taking off his shirt.

I raise my eyebrows at him. "What?" He asks. "It's hot okay! And if I were you I'd do the same. You'll faint, the sun's beating. Sun, running and black clothes aren't a good mix."

"Whatever." I say, and take off my shirt. I notice how pale I am compared to Jake.

He does too. "C'mon Dracula."

We sit down and lean against the wall.

"You guys look worn out. You should probably drink some water." Andy comments. Sam throws us a bottle of water each.

"Where'd you get these?" Jake asks.

"Phoebe." Sam shrugs.

I put the talisman round my neck and look at the time on my phone.

"10:15 already. Still light outside. Weird."

"Technically that's quite average. Especially in Australia in and around the middle of summer." Andy comments. I throw a pillow at him then put one behind my head. Sam comes to sit next to me, and Andy sits next to Jake, so we're sitting in a line across the wall.

"It's October you git." I comment at Andy.

We watch the sun go down in silence and the talisman shines lightly in the moonlight.

Eventually I fall asleep.