"Never going back"

The ligneous house stood composed as if it had chosen solitude for itself; inside appeared to be a movie-set rolled off a production line. However, if it weren't for the noticeable dust and the agonizing silence it wouldn't have seemed truly alien. Except for... the soft clinking that could be heard from the kitchen where Christopher sat seemingly untroubled as he stared blankly at the scarlet sky; displaying patterns no eye has ever seen before or will again. Christopher's eyes rapidly blinked as they focused on his surroundings and for a moment his face shuffled to utter confusion. As if remembering where he was he suddenly pushes his chair away and marches to his uncluttered room to face a box reading 'Toby's domain' in box lettering. "Toby...Toby, could you wake up?" Christopher urged. But the box remained unnervingly still without even a small squeak. Christopher raised his hand cautiously to the lid of the box...but then quickly retracted his hand. Christopher didn't want to disturb Toby from his deep sleep and instead carefully wrapped his arm around the box before rhythmically marching his way to the garage.

Cruising down the lone country road with Christopher's' dads Mercedes car, he travels south as a dated newspaper tumbles by reading "After 3 years scientists are still unable to find the cure for rampaging virus". After a while he is dryly welcomed by a sign with crippled wood stuck together that had once sported festive colours and a smiling clown; it'd been so long since he'd been there... He didn't know what he was expecting but, the sky above the dilapidated theme park was the colour of a television tuned to a dead channel. It was almost too quiet, but the faint creaking from the almost ancient Ferris wheel as it slowly turned on its repetitive path. An elaborate merry-go-round sat in the centre of the park, its once bright colours was painted over with dust. Christopher could hear the echoes of cheerful music that no longer played. His eyes dilated as he began to see the theme park reassemble itself in his mind, all the vibrant, pastel colours coming to life.

There... his mother stood with her red dress that was the staple of his happiest childhood memories, patterned with all things British, from teapots to palace guards. He started to remember all the fairy floss moustaches they would make, all the rides they'd get sickly dizzy on and more importantly just his mother being there. But Christopher couldn't stop his mothers shouting and his father raising his hand against her. This was always something he wished to forget. His mother would quietly cry, huddled inside the bathroom, while Christopher would push his face into his covers hoping everything would be normal the next day. Until one day she did bring him to the theme park and told him "Christopher, I want you to count to ten and when you open your eyes something magical will happen". But when Christopher opened his eyes his mother was magically gone.

"You're all alone Christopher", the mirage of his mother said while gently stroking Christopher's hair back.

"No mom I'm not alone I still have Toby to keep me company. He's a real sleepy head though," Christopher chuckles.

"Oh honey, you were always alone."

"What are you talking about? I'll show you," Christopher's voice falters as he opens the box ...a lifeless mouse that seemed to have been dead for months lay. Toby. Deep down I knew but it was the one lie that I wanted to keep.

At first there was silence. Christopher's eyes kept darting everywhere except the box, as he kept thinking. But the hard-painful lump in the back of his throat started to force tears and slowly his breathing became hallowed and a small but intense pain struck the top nerve of his head. Before Christopher knew it, he was shouting repeatedly "WHY DID YOU HAVE TO LEAVE ME LIKE EVERYONE ELSE". Tears streamed down his face. Time had fast forward. All Christopher could see was his clenched, bruised fists and tear stained blouse. He recognised his own voice finally saying, "I can't take it anymore."