Chapter 1 - Stormy Seas

People are like riptides, they pull us in then push us out

Betty Cooper, a cheerleader, honors student, 4.0 GPA, and not mention she's "perfectly pink". She's often described as "girl next door".

Alice Cooper, Betty's mother, barges into Betty's room, not bothering to knock. 

"Betty, are you ready for school tomorrow? The summer is over now and it's time to get ready for the colleges!"

"Yes, mom, I am.", Betty sighed, obviously exasperated with her mother's constant yabbering about colleges and scholarships.

"Are you sure? You've been studying for at least two hours every day? You know we can't let this year slide by us!"

"Yes, mom, I know!!"

"Hey, don't you give me an attitude young lady. I am only helping you for the benefit of your future." Alice rolled her eyes and walked out of Betty's room.

Betty closed her door and flopped onto her bed. She rolled onto her stomach and watched the window belonging to none other than Archie Andrews. Archie and Betty have been next door neighbors for as long as Betty can remember. Betty's been chasing after the ginger boy since 7th grade. Every time she had the opportunity to tell him, she chickened out. She was too afraid of rejection. Tonight, though, she was going to tell him. She was going to get over herself and tell him. 

Betty began the getting ready process, hair, makeup, and most importantly how she was going to tell him. She'd been rehearsing exactly how it would go down her head, including any possible variables that could enter the situation. What she did not think of, however, was the possibility of another girl entering the conversation. Seeing her reflection in the mirror and deciding it was satisfactory, Betty grabbed a white clutch and walked out the door, heading straight to Pop's.

Archie was already there, with a mysterious raven haired beauty holding his hand, sitting in the spot Betty always sat in. Betty walked into the Chocklit Shoppe expecting a loving reunion, instead she got a slap in the face from reality, Archie would never have eyes for her alone.  Still Betty walked over, thinking maybe she was just a friend, but deep down, Betty knew that she was more to Archie than that; she was simply suppressing the storm that was growing inside her more and more with every step she took.

"Archie... !", Betty watched as the girl moved over so Betty could sit.

"Betty, this is Veronica... met over the summer. She's my girlfriend. I thought that you two should meet each other." 

"", Betty said, her voice breaking slightly, "-will you excuse for a minute?", Betty got up and walked straight to the bathroom. She clung to the sink, feeling sick to her stomach. Her head spun in circles, the room becoming a blur. She backed away to the wall, sliding down it, hugging her knees as she caught her breath. Betty wiped her eyes, looking at herself in the mirror. She fixed her hair and makeup before walking back to the once beloved booth.

Betty slid back into the booth where she once felt safe and protected, but now only held betrayal hidden behind a mask of uncertainty. 

"So tell me, where did you guys meet?", Betty asked with a smile, trying to sound somewhat in the new relationship.

"Well, I just moved her from the East Village and I saw Archiekins here sitting in this very booth. We talked for a bit and he asked me out." Veronica laughed  as if the story was amusing in some way. 

Archie took Veronica's hand, squeezing it. Betty's heart ached, but she continued to smile even though all she wanted to do was go home and cry. 

After a few hours of unbearable awkwardness and pain, Betty finally got out of there and into her home. She ran up the stairs and slammed her door, closing her blinds the second the entered her room.

Betty crashed onto her bed, sobbing to no end. Eventually, the sobs began to stop and she was fast asleep.

Betty awoke the next morning with mascara crusted around her puffy, red eyes, and her lipstick smeared slightly. She grabbed a makeup wipe and took off the mess before re-applying her makeup. She dragged herself to her closet, grabbing a light blue sweater with dark jeans and white sandals. Betty her hair into her signature ponytail and without bothering to check the mirror, Betty grabbed her bag and walked to school.

Our hero, Archie, tried to walk to school with our blonde heroine, Betty, but he had her hurt her too much and Archie knew she was going to need , even though he didn't know what he did wrong. 

Betty walked into school thinking that it would be the one normal thing in her life, but boy was she in for a surprise. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eek here it is! I'm sorry it's pretty short and not really good, but expect more action in the next chapter! What's so shocking to Betty at school? Let me know your theories and what you think'll happen!