#1

Opening...

   C.E.R.L. It stood for Cora, Evelyn, Raegan and Lucia. We all had unique names; one of the reasons we became friends. Our group was so tight that not even a knife could slice through our force-field. We were iconic, we were famous, we were everything others weren't. Everywhere we went, C.E.R.L would be the sudden gossip. It's not as though we did anything spectacular, we were just friends. Best friends forever. How clueless i was.

Cora was labelled as the 'hot Gothic lesbian' with a tendency to do whatever she pleased. Spending most of her free days down at Gaz' bar hitting on girls,  all the while struggling to stand from the toxins she held in her hand. Her classic attempts never seize to amaze me, why she thought that being high would pick up girls will forever be funny to me. However after many attempts and fails it worked - someone saw the beautiful soul behind all the dark makeup and bloodshot eyes. Gabby. They had hit it off instantly, skipping all of the bases and acting as if they had been together for years. We could tell that Gabby wasn't fond of us as soon as we saw her, but we didn't want to interfere so instead we simply reminded her to be careful. However, soon enough we ended up harassing her with rumours of Gabby cheating on her, which were true. In the end, Cora separated herself even more from C.E.R.L and eventually lost contact with us.

Raegan was known as the local 'bad-ass', and spent most of her days playing sports, never once forgetting about us. Being the funny one of the group, you could have never left Rae without dying of laughter, it was impossible. I was envious of Rae - her tough bad girl exterior always kept her away from being a target, something i have only just mastered. When Cora left, Raegan's hard act became worse, yet still continued with her sport, only this time she forgot about us.

That leaves 'the hooded one' - Lucia. Many attempts were taken to speak to her but neither a response nor eye contact was conquered, Lucia would either simply ignore or walk away. She was incredibly protective of C.E.R.L, yet never spoke of it, never spoke of anything to do with her feelings. Lucia had always been closed off and reserved whilst growing up, her childhood having been ripped away from her at such a young age. We loved her all the same though, and we knew she loved us too. It devastated us to hear of her cancer. That's when everything changed.

"Darling, we're here!" Giving me a beaming smile and a little jump, my mother hops out of the driver's side and immediately starts to grab our suitcases from the boot of the car. My name is Evelyn and this is my story...