Hearts & Blades

Hearts&Blades

Chapter 1: Initiation

Space, a dark void that is known of beauty and wonder, but we all know that it is a battle field for war. These thoughts run through my head as I peered out the window of my empty quarter. I decided to join the military so that I may protect the earth. I am only 17, but I am ready to start my training as a Galaxy Samurai. The Galaxy Samurai’s are a space military force that helps protect the universe. We fight for planets to stop the destruction that threaten them.

I walk to my small bed, thinking of what the training will be like. I knew that it wouldn’t be easy, and that it would be very difficult. The initiation is just as hard as the training itself, but I have faith that I will pass the test. I must pass; it’s the only thing I have left. My parents died in a war, and I was left alone. I had no one to take care of me, no one to watch after me, so I joined the military in hoping to keep the very little thing I have left protected.

         My door slides open as two men in green armor walk in. The armor is that of a knight, but there helmet does not fully cover their face, a long yellow blade runs up the top of the helmet. They must have been in many battles, because of the firm emotionless look in their eyes. “The captain is ready to see you” one of them says. They take me into a large room where a large chair sits high off the ground. I look up to see an older man wearing the same green armor, but without the helmet. His eyes are fixed on me, I feel a nerves chill run down my spine. He signals the others and they leave. Still staring into my eyes he calmly asks me, “Why did you join the military, you are so young?” I look to the ground unsure of what to say, knowing that if I look back into his eyes I will be unable to speak. “I have nothing left on earth. My parents have died in war and I am all alone, so I want to protect whatever I have left” I say in a stern as I look up into his eyes. He gives me an angered look then smiles. He hands me a sword, one from earth and says, “Before I fully pass you, you must show me whatever sword skills you have.” I take the sword and begin to swing and slash in ways I never even knew I could. As I am swing the sword I catch a glimpse of the captain’s face. He looks amazed at what I can do. It really doesn’t surprise me; my father was a samurai back on earth. “You have the blood of a samurai, I can very well see, welcome to the Galaxy Samurai.” He says with a smile on his face. I look up and smile back, trying to keep calm from the excitement that welds up inside of me. I bow to him and he gives me a signal telling me I can leave. I realize that there was blood dripping from my arm, I must have swung the sword wrong and cut my arm, but I didn’t care, I didn’t even realize it. I take my self to the infirmary to quickly get it stitched up and head back to my quarter.

As I lay on my bed staring into the ceiling I start to wonder what training will be like, if it is tough or if I will pass by it with ease. I already know I have sword skills I obtained from my father, but I still can’t help think that it will be much harder than just swinging a sword. I get up and walk back to the window and stare back out into space. I begin to feel sadness for some strange reason. A thought runs through my head and says, “I thought space would be a bit my pleasing and help bring me joy, but it’s just a dark empty void.” A tear runs down my face, I jump wondering why I have started to cry. I try to snap myself out of it before any of the soldiers see me, and then they will know I have a weakness. I make a vowel after I have stopped crying and pledge that I will show no emotions in training and show no weakness. I walk back to my bed shut out the lights and get into bed. It is pitch black from space, having no moon to light the night. I slowly drift to sleep as I wait for the next day when I begin my training.