─ chapter five

The moment Elyse arrived in her room, she burst into tears

The moment Elyse arrived in her room, she burst into tears. Unlike how she had acted, she was not okay. Leaving her suitcases and handbag next to the door, she ran to her bed and just collapsed in it, god knows for how long, until she felt a hand upon her shoulder

"Elyse..." Maddie's gentle voice came from behind. The redhead was sat next to Elyse's legs. Her own face stained with tears. Elyse propped herself on her arms to face Maddie, her face crumbing.

"Mads..." she got out before collapsing on her stomach, burrowing her face into her pillow again.

"C'mere." Maddie lifted Elyse slightly and pulled her into her arms, hugging her. Elyse allowed herself to be pulled into Maddie's arms.

"I'm sorry." Elyse sobbed.

"Shut up. Don't." Maddie said softly, stroking Elyse's hair.

"But I am... this is all my fault..."

"What are you on about?" Maddie questioned. "What's your fault?"

"Our fight, my dad, everything." Elyse shook her head.

"El, no." Maddie made Elyse look at her. "Don't you fucking dare blame yourself for your dad. I know where that gets you. I blame myself for him leaving us every single day, and I know it's different to death but still. It's not good for you. You're hurting. Yes I'm pissed you took it out on me, yes I'm pissed you kicked off at me and Jay. But that's not the point." She sighed, tears welling in her eyes.

"I was upset," Elyse continued. "And you were all peppy and seeing the hickies... it felt as if I had been replaced with him while I was away." Maddie frowned as a tear rolled down her own cheek.

"Elyse no... I could never replace you. You're my best friend."

"You don't need me anymore." Elyse said, Maddie's comment going in one ear and out another. "You have him to take care of you and make you happy. He's the one you've turned to in the last month for a problem not me. He's the most important person in your life now."

"Shut up." Maddie shook her head. "Elyse just shut up. There's no way. No fucking way. Yes he's my boyfriend but you're my best friend. Of course I fucking need you. You helped me get through when I was assaulted, you help me when I panic about it and when it haunts me again. Heck, Jay and I wouldn't even be together if it weren't for you. You told me about what actually happened at the coronation. I know I can always rely on you." Maddie looked at Elyse, tears rolling down her cheeks. "That's never going to fucking change. If anyone should be sorry, it's me. I've been such a shit friend to you. Maybe he has changed me. And when I... when I fucking k-killed someone... you were there for me. He wasn't. Not straight away. I know I can always rely on you no matter what. But maybe I've been blinded by my fucking idiocy."

"No... I just over-exaggerated." Elyse sighed. "You're with him now and I need to respect that." She added. "I just don't trust him."

"Because of what he's done?" Maddie questioned. "Because of what's happened to me in the past? With... the pirate...?"

"Because of what he's done. And the fact no man, or woman for that matter, would be good enough for my best friend." Elyse replied. Maddie smiled and pulled Elyse into a hug, but she soon pulled back from it.

"I just have to ask... you don't have to answer. But is it also because you still like me?" Maddie asked carefully.

"No... at least I don't think so. I'm jealous but not for that reason. No need to be scared." Elyse elaborated.

"I'm not scared." Maddie reassured. "I was just asking. I don't want you to be uncomfortable about anything.

"Good. Do you still feel awkward about it?" Elyse asked.

"No." Maddie shook her head. "You can't help who you fall for and at the end of the day, you're still my best friend. I know you're getting over it."

"I am over it" Elyse insisted. "Mostly."

"I know. I believe you." Maddie said.

"Good. Friends? I'm really sorry for lashing out." Elyse apologised again.

"Stop apologising." Maddie said. "Of course we're friends." Elyse smiled. The girls ended up talking until early hours of the morning, before falling asleep in Elyse's bed.

-