The Death of 007

"Agent Bedivere, 007 is down," I nearly miss the murmured words from the MI-6 Quartermaster in my ear-piece. 

"What?" I respond, hoping, begging, and praying to God that I just happened to mishear Q.

"007 has been shot!" Q nearly yells into the earpiece. "It is up to you now Agent Bedivere." Tears form in my eyes at the words but I quickly blink them back. Kingsmen don't cry... At least not in public. We finish the mission, follow protocol, and once in private, and only then, do we shed a tear for the fallen. 

I had to continue on alone. There was a crazed woman, an agent gone rogue out there. All of England was depending on me. I continue down the hallway, gripping my TT-30 tightly in both hands.

"Bedivere?" The thick accent of Merlin breaks my concentration and I duck into a doorway, closing my eyes only for a brief moment. Damn the Scot and his accent!

"Don't you be looking for 007, love," he murmurs lowly. "His monitor went off. We've lost him." I don't respond to Merlin, too focused on stifling my cry. I rub my cheek, wiping invisible tears off of it. He was a good agent. The best of both MI-6 and Kingsman. He had been a good man.

"Agent Bedivere," Q begins. "You have to keep moving. James..." His voice breaks for a moment. I hadn't realized how close they were before. It should have been obvious to me. Q and 007, just like Bedivere and Merlin. "Bond would want you to." I take a deep breath and step out into the hallway.

"I'm into the building's security feed. I'm sending you the location via your glasses." The map pops up on the left side of my vision. It shows me the stairs and a blinking red dot with an up arrow. Like a video game. Signifying that my enemy is upstairs. I run, rushing up the three flights of stairs. I pause at the top. His body is there, slumped against the wall with a bullet in his chest. I wince and step past him, slowly pushing the door open. A bullet fires off.

The bullet firing suddenly woke me from my sleep. I sit up with a start, gasping for air. I look around the dark and blurry room. My fingers search the bed-side table for my glasses. I slip them on. There's no map with my enemy marked. The light is slowly seeping in through my bedroom window, a ray of sunlight hitting my James Bond poster. Daniel Craig half-smiles at me as if to tell me 'it's alright, it's only a bad dream.' I take a shaky breath of air, giving my room another look. There's no Assassin firing at me. There's no dead Daniel Craig in the corner. I take my glasses off and squeeze my eyes shut. I wasn't a Kingsman agent. Merlin didn't call me love. Q and 007 weren't in love. Merlin and I weren't in love, (what a shame). Most importantly, this wasn't the Death of 007. 

=-=-=

Author's Note

=-=-=

This idea had been rolling around in my mind since Daniel Craig said he would "rather die than make another James Bond Movie." I was originally going to submit this in the #JustWriteDay fanfiction A Bad Dream competition but I couldn't cut it down to 500 words or under so I left it like this and decided to have my editor read it and have it published later on.

I might continue this idea in a Q/James Bond piece later on. I have a whole idea for it. Who knows? Maybe something with Agent Bedivere and Merlin?