Chapter One

Eleonora grinned as a message from Silvia popped up on her phone, opening her phone to look at the newest picture of Silvia's cat.

God, she loved that girl. What a precious human.

When she looked at Silvia she could almost see a younger version of herself. Her instinct was to protect her. To shield her from the evils of the world.

Like Edoardo. She frowned at the thought, conflicted about him. On one hand, he seemed like pure evil. The cliche fuckboy who sleeps with girls then ignores them after he's claimed his notch on the wall. But then he'd apologise to Silvia or he'd call Eleonora bellisima and beg her for a date.

She just didn't understand him.

It had been an interesting introduction to her new school, but Eleonora was glad she'd moved. She'd made amazing new friends and only had to deal with one annoying male. But thank god it was over.

School had been over for about two weeks, and part of her missed seeing some of the faces she'd gotten used to seeing everyday. But she wasn't going to focus on that.

She moved her bag back up her shoulder as it fell down, looking around her at the shops she'd been absentmindedly wandering through. If she was honest, she was a little bit lost. She wasn't terribly troubled by that though, she had her phone on her if she needed to use maps or call one of the girls.

It was great knowing she wasn't alone. She hadn't always known that before, but here in Rome she did.

Her face buried in the screen of her phone, she wasn't paying attention to her surroundings. She clipped the shoulder of a stranger she walked past, knocking their shopping out of their hands. She stared in horror as their shopping bag fell to the floor, quickly bending down to help pick it up.

"Ele, it's fine. Stop."

She froze, looking over at the person she'd bumped into for the first time. She locked eyes with those damn pools of chocolate and felt her face heat up.

Edoardo gave her a soft smile, picking up his bags easily with one hand. He held out his other hand for her, and instinctively she took it. He gently pulled her up with him, his hand lingering on hers. She wasn't thinking properly.

Realising she was acting like an idiot, she pulled her hand from his. "Sorry" she said, unsure if she was sorry for knocking into him or sorry for letting herself act that way.

"It's okay, Ele."

She furrowed her brow, just realising what he had been referring to her as. "Why are you calling me that?"

His hand that had just held hers flew to the back of his neck, an unsure expression flitting across his face. She'd never seen him look this unsure.

"Well, I heard Eva call you it, and then it's your Instagram name so I figured it wasn't a private thing. If you don't like me calling you-"

"No, it's okay" she said without thinking, taking pleasure in his small bout of low confidence.

He grinned at her, confidence back. "Well, you know, you could call me Edo."

She gave him a puzzled look. "But your name is Eduardo? How do you get Edo from that?"

He laughed. "Yeah yeah. Vabbe."

She held back a laugh, not wanting to give him the satisfaction. There was a small moment of silence, and now would be the perfect time for her to say goodbye and leave but instead she found herself asking "so what are you shopping for?"