22. To Swim or Not to Swim

⊰ T W E N T Y  T W O ⊱

TO SWIM OR NOT TO SWIM

"You know, you never told me about your past even though that was part of our deal," Jimin said as he slowly dropped his hand from my chin.

It took a moment for me to remember the agreement we made at the inn. I was supposed to tell Jimin my story after he told me his. Of course, after us nearly kissing things had gotten tense and it hadn't been the right time to tell him.

"Can we talk about it some other time? I promise I'll tell you, I just don't have the energy to get into it right now," I said, hoping he wouldn't mind that I was postponing it.

"That's fine, kitten. I won't push you," he said softly. This new, more caring Jimin continued to catch me off guard. I'd been growing accustomed to his cold attitude and snide remarks, but it sparked excitement in me to see that he was starting to feel again.

"Thank you, Jimin. And thank you for the other night, too. I know it wasn't easy for you to talk about your past." I looked at him and noticed his face morph into a guarded expression.

"I still don't know why I told you all of that," he spoke shortly. His shift in demeanor sent a pang through my chest. I was just thinking about how sweet he was being lately, but suddenly he was back the masked, unreachable siren. "I'd rather not bring it up if that's alright with you."

"Okay then," I agreed quietly. With a sigh, I took a step back from him. "I should probably get to bed. Busy day tomorrow, right?"

"It should be. Our next stop isn't far and from what I can tell, Jungkook and Taehyung both have their desires at the same place." I watched as he lowered himself back onto his hammock, swinging his legs over so he was lying down. He folded his arms behind his head and peered at me from under his dark lashes. "So you better get your beauty sleep, Katherine."

My lips tilted up and I shook my head.

"Goodnight, Jimin."

"Wait."

I had only taken a couple of steps. I turned to see him sit up, placing his feet on the floor but remaining seated on the net. The moonlight reflected in his eyes, gleaming like an exotic cat's.

"What is it?"

"I hate to ask, but I haven't had your blood in almost two days. I really need some, or the curse may start coming back again," he explained, sounding a little embarrassed.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I completely forgot about it yesterday," my voice was small and I sounded nervous.

"Come here," he mumbled, gesturing for me to walk over to him. He stayed sitting, even as I stepped  in front of him. I was about to ask why he wasn't standing up, but he grabbed my forearm and pulled me down onto his lap.