The Music

She is alone. Always has, always will be. At least, she will, until she finds that missing piece of jigsaw that would fit in her with her complicated and strange soul.

She didn't mind. Not when she had the music. The music kept her company. Sure, it was just sounds coming from her earbuds, but it was enough. It was enough to last a day, enough for her to wake up to. So yes, it was enough, for her at least.

The music kept her company in the darkest of times, when the kids assembled together and everyone was in partners but her. On the ride to church, where there was no one to talk to, because everyone had their own friends. No one talked to her, or even cared about her. She was pushed aside, neglected. A long time ago she would tell you about her dreams of far away and happy ever after. Not now. Not now when she was almost certain that there was no happy ever after, no far away. No, all that she had to look forward to was her parents and their constant neglect mad screaming, and the mocking, unseen aura when everyone was in pairs but her. She was the last one to be picked in class, and the first one to be left.

But that was okay, wasn't it? The music kept her company. There might be no far away and no happy ever after, but there was the music. There was the comforting sound of life being put into rhythms, the lyrics known like the back of her hand that made life make sense. There was the general reassurance that if the day was bad, the music was there to soothe her and calm her.

And it was her and the music that day, in the park, when the feeling of constant gloom reached deep down to her toes and wound their way up to heart. A pain so great, that even the music couldn't help. Her heart hurt so badly, she wanted to rip her heart out of her chest. She ran back to her empty house, and found them. The pills, located in the back of her cupboard.

The music couldn't help this time.

But death might.