Healing A Hero

Through most of my life my mother abused me and caused me pain- so I chose a career that would help ease others suffering. I chose to become a doctor-and I was studying with my longtime friend Ember-she wanted to be a nurse. It was steadily pouring rain one night as we were poring over a myriad array of medical textbooks. We were studying for our midterm exams- when in between the loud claps of thunder I heard a very weak knock at the door.I got up to answer it, when I found a young man with striking silver hair. He was badly injured, like he'd just survived a great war.

   He tried to speak, but I gently said,"Shhh, save your strength. We'll fix you up as good as new in no time."
I turned to Ember."Ember! Help me carry him inside! He's badly hurt!"
Ember lifted him up,"Uggh...he's heavy," she groaned as we gently placed the wounded warrior on my bed.

I cleaned and bandaged his wounds, speaking softly to him."You're very brave, and very stubborn,"I said affectionately,"Most people I've met usually give up and let death have them if they were that badly hurt."

Each day I checked on him, making sure I kept the wounds clean and changed his bandages. I smiled as one morning enough of his strength returned where he could sit up and speak no problem."How are you feeling today?" I asked.

  "I'm feeling better. My name is Firion, and I'm very grateful for your help. I owe you my life."
I smiled,"Hey, don't sweat it. It's against my oath to let people suffer. If I can at least ease their pain,I'm happy."

I listened to his story and was amazed at his tales of war and of courage."You're welcome to stay as long as you need