Clean Slate

It was supposed to be my year. The year that I was finally got what I wanted and what I needed. My year where I was the girl. The one that was the cool and popular one. The girl who got the guy, or girl. Now I know it sounds stupid and cheesy, but that was what I was thinking as my taxi rounded the corner to  my new home, house. This place would never be home. 

The building was an old Victorian style house. With three stories, and a single tower rising from the front-left. The walls were a dark gray, giving the place a mysterious, haunted vibe. The drapeds had been pulled back, letting in the warm sunlight. For every window except the attic, and mine. On top of the roof was a angel windvane, shimmering gold in the autum sun. The face of the angle was almost worn away, making it look more like a demon than an angle. 

I shuttered thinking of all the mysterious occurrences that had happened anytime I stayed here over the summer. Object moving from one place to another by themselves, a chilly breeze when I knew all the windows were  shut. I was so lost in thought that I hadn't realized we had reached the house until the driver called to me, his patience wasted. 

"Hey girl!" He yelled angrily. "Get a move on! I don't have time for this!" 

"Sorry sir" I answered,  nervously. "Lost in my own thought I guess."

Hurriedly I climbed out of the backseat with my bags, a new school backpack, two suitcases brimmed with clothes, and a large duffle bag filled with the possessions I couldn't bring myself to leave behind. Slowly readjusting the straps of my backpack to fit over my coat, I turned to watch the cab drive away, trying to muster enough courage to walk up to the steps.