1

CHAPTER 1

They say home is where the heart is. Lima was never home, and it never will be. As long as I remember New York was my home; strolls down Central Park, New Year's at Times Square and Broadway. Not so performing like my sister Rachel but more of the art of performance in general. I knew I was my mother's daughter, the famous Shelby Corcoran, Broadway legend. As far as I know, I was born in Lima by a woman that is not Shelby, and that's all she is to me, a woman. Growing up without my biological mother seems way harder than people say but I think it's easier because if I knew 'Quinn' when Shelby told me my birth story I would've hated her, but since I'm no longer in her life she's no longer in mine.

The plane ride back to Lima felt so long and laborious, I've only ever been out of New York by driving, but this place, Lima, is a new slate. I know that I was born here but I would always tell people that I was born in New York and I said it so often that I started to believe it. The airport was small, nothing fancy, it was about the size of our Loft in New York, so that's saying something. I walk out of the terminal to see a short, blonde, pale, young woman standing behind the barrier with a sign with my name on it, Beth Fabray Corcoran. Shelby convinced me to keep the Fabray even though I don't believe I am one myself. She smiles at me, indicating she knows who I am. "Beth, I had to look twice, you look so much like your mother" The lady offered to take my bags and I accept. "Haha, thanks" I reply with minimal enthusiasm, I've gotten used to people saying I look like her, I haven't seen her so I wouldn't know and honestly I don't care.

"Sorry, I'm Kitty Wilde, I went to school after your mother did and I've met her a couple times, nice young lady" She held out her hand and welcoming me to shake it and I did.

"Not my mother" I huffed under my breath, loud enough for only me to hear.

"It's good to have you back home" She flashes a friendly smile.

"This isn't home" I deadpan, walking faster leaving Kitty behind.

I push through the airport double doors and I reach the company van and the logo couldn't be plastered more obviously, Lima Foster Family, it's like they want everyone to know I was abandoned. I lean against the side of the van, pushing my big black sunglasses further up my nose, pretending I don't know anyone because I don't, but they might know me. Finally, Kitty emerged from the airport and put my bags in the van without a word. She unlocks the van and I hop in the passenger seat and Kitty eventually makes it into the drivers and we left the airport in silence.

The guilt is killing me. I feel really bad for my behaviour earlier and I know the Shelby would be disappointed in me because she raised me right. I'm tired and cranky but that is no excuse for disrespect.

"Hey Kitty," I break the silence and she averted half of her attention to me, the other half on the road.

"I'm sorry about before at the airport, about Quinn and Lima and stuff" I apologize embarrassingly, I've step foot in Lima for 10 minutes and someone might already hate me.

"Oh don't worry about it," she says in a soft voice, "I get it, you don't consider this home and you don't believe Quinn is your mother" She explains accurately.

"I read your file, I know what happened" her eyes never left the road.

"Thanks, I really appreciate your help," I say as we approach the foster home.

The building isn't the worst. Red brick, 2-3 stories high and a large front door, It looked like an old apartment complex. Kitty and I haul my bags into the foyer. She was instantly greeted by 4 little kids, 2 girls and 2 boys, all ranging between the ages of 5 to 8 years old.

"Kitty!" they all shouted in unison as the attach themselves to Kitty's calves.

"Hey kiddos, how was school?" She asks carrying the last of my bags before I grab them out of her grasp.