Chapter One

Chapter One

A scream pierced the air and something sharp violently grabbed Peyton's lower arm. She jolted awake, gasping in alarm. Swivelling her head and frowning deeply, her best friend Kat was viciously tearing up her flesh with her ridiculously long fake nails. She gave her a flat look and removed her arm from her grip.

"Kat chill out, you are attracting unwanted attention" Peyton muttered, narrowing her eyes at the people who were gawking at them. The heads in front of them turned back to the film, and Peyton sunk back down into her chair. They were currently seeing the new horror movie out. It was meant to be one of the scariest movies of the year. So far Peyton had fallen asleep twice. Must take a fair bit to scare her. After all movies were just movies to her, there wasn't anything to be scared about.

"I can't" Kat whispered furiously, her eyes wide and alert, her fingers trembling. Another scream choked out and she slapped her palms over her eyes. Peyton watched in amusement before glancing at the screen. Some guy (presumably the bad guy) was ripping the protagonists body a part, limb by limb. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. It was so fake, how could anyone even find that remotely frightening? She thought. Lame, was the only word she could use to describe it.

Peyton looked down the line of seats, looking at her other friends. Some had their faces buried, while others were staring in horror at the screen. Peyton rested her head back and slowly her eyes drifted shut. Eventually, the loud screams and noises died away and she found herself dozing off into a not so comfortable sleep, yet again.

-

"That was awesome!" one of the group members gushed as they all emerged from the overcrowded and stuffy cinemas. There were a few murmurs of agreement and head nods. Peyton just snorted and rolled her eyes.

"Are you kidding? That was pathetic" she remarked. Kat rolled her eyes at her, knowing exactly that she would respond like that. Kat was under average height, only reaching Peyton's shoulders. She had pale skin and dark brown hair, which sat at medium length just beyond her shoulders. She had deep brown eyes and a button nose. She looked young and acted that way most of the time, often getting mistaken for her age.

"Just because you are fearless" Kat muttered. Sticking her tongue out childishly at Peyton. She shook her head back at her deicing not to respond.

"So i guess we will meet you guys at Karla's party then?" Peyton questioned as they headed towards the cinema car park. They all excitedly responded with a yes before heading off to find their cars.

The host of the party was Karla Grey. She was one of the most well-known girls in their school. Her father was very successful, owning one of the biggest entertainment companies in the world. Despite losing her mother young, Karla grew up to be very independent, learning from an early age to look after herself. Although being born into a world where nearly everything she wanted was at her fingertips, she grew up and was known to be rather conceited and snobbish, to which she stopped at nothing to get whatever she wanted. As a result, she easily convinced her father into allowing her to throw the biggest party of the year, the weekend before the start of senior year.

The ride to the party was far from quiet. Kat could not contain her excitement, being very outgoing one of her favourite things to do was socialise and 'mingle'. Peyton on the other hand was the opposite. She had confidence yes, but she was quite quiet, always keeping to herself, i guess you could call her the observer of the group, she always had focus on what has happening around her. Being very hesitant to go to this party, Peyton felt guilty and did not want to let her best friend down, so  she agreed to go to the party for a few hours - despite the intense feeling that began to arise in the pit of her stomach as they got closer to the party, it was as if this feeling was trying to warn her about something.