Reality

Sitting down on the comfortable, plush couch, I was able to see everyone in the room. My wonderful family just waiting for the time to change. It was New Year's Eve.

I moved over slightly, allowing my wife, Danielle, to sit next to me. She smiled and snuggled into my shoulder as I put my arm around her. Our young son, Ethan, wasn't far behind.

He practically soared into his mother's lap, causing us both to laugh before Danielle warned, "Calm down now honey, it's almost time!"

"I know!" Ethan responded, "That's why I'm so excited!"

"Well," I said, "maybe if you settle down, I'll let you have the last glass of juice in the fridge."

"I will! I will! Can I have it now daddy?"

I laughed, "Sure. I'll be right back." Danielle moved so that I could get up.

Walking into the kitchen, I grabbed a glass from the cabinet then opened the fridge to get the juice.

I quickly finished the task of filling the glass before starting to head back to the living room.

I turned the corner and dropped the juice, glass shattering all across the floor.

Our once clean and cheery living room was now empty and littered with trash. Old newspaper clippings and empty beer and hard liquor bottles strewn about.

Just like that.... I had been brought back to reality...