Chapter 1 "924 year"

The weather today is the absolute best. Cloudy all morning and then rain would come down till nightfall. It makes the night cooler and I’ll have reason to wrap my self in blankets without having to sweat. Or at least that was what supposed to happen if I’m not in the middle of this forsaken forest.

“Ahh... I miss my bed”, i speak to myself.

Currently I’m on my way back south to the imperial capital after investigating and defeating the source of chaos in the mountainside of the western region, which is 5 days worth of walk from where i am now and another week from where i live.

Of course i could’ve fly or use body enchantment magic, to speed things up, but that would beat the essence of a journey. Even with all the hardships that came with a journey, it is meant to be enjoyed.

But then suddenly, the rain that was falling gently starts to pour heavily and the wind begin to speed up, like someone drops a bucket full of water, continuously and turning on a massive fan.

“this won’t do, i should’ve bring a sturdier tent if i knew the weather is going to be this awful.. those guy at the imperial science facility couldn’t be trusted when it’s about the weather”, i said while I stare into the now dark painted sky.

With that being said, i start to hasten my pace while looking for anything that could be used as a shelter. I decided to use magic after looking around for a few minutes and find nothing in the vicinity.

[Area Search] i spoke softly as i raised my hand simultaneously to cast the magic. It’s quite a simple and useful magic, by basically spreading mana over a wide area, i could see clearly the terrain around me.

The area that i could see depends on the amount of mana i let out, also if you’re not used to using this kind of magic it could easily overwhelm your five senses as you can see every detail of everything over the said area. So the trick is to configure the density and the amount of mana that you use while you’re using this spell.

A moment after scouring the area i found what appears to be a cave, just 5 kilometres from where i am. Without a moment to waste i cast [Sprint], which is a type of a basic enchantment magic, and run towards the cave. It only took me less then a minute to reach the cave.

“[Silent], [Stealth] [Detect Life]” i cast one spell after another right before i enter the cave, a basic precaution that has become a habit of mine.

After confirming that there are no threats as there are only small insects, i enter the cave and set my belongings down. I took off my rain coat, and put it over some stalagmites. The rain coat was of course enchanted to make sure that no water can penetrate into my clothes, unless of course it's not going to work if i jumped into a pool of water.

I proceed to unpack my bag and took out a sleeping bag, made out of thick layers of leather, water pouch, and some bread and beef jerky.

“i wonder how long the rain will last, i want to sleep in a real bed soon” i said as i arrange the sleeping bag.

“[Inventory]” i cast a spatial magic and took out some firewood and kindling.

“[Ignite]” as the kindling began to burn, i softly blow into it to keep the fire alive and then put some firewood on top of it.

The once dark cave begin to lights up because of the fire. I sat down close enough to the fire to feel it’s warmth and began eating the bread and beef jerky. It’s not exactly nutritious nor it was tasty at all, i can only taste the saltiness form the jerky, but still it was fulfilling enough.

I could’ve made something from the ingredients that i have inside my [Inventory] but i was to lazy and wanted to sleep as fast as i could. I gulped down my food and drink some water before i retreat to the minimum comfort of the sleeping bag.

As i stare into the cave ceiling, i took my journal from my bag and hold it right above my face.

“Property of The Great and Magnificent Carcasse” it’s what written on the worn out cover. I chuckled and also a bit embarrassed when i read that. This journal is probably the most precious belonging that i have, as it records what had happen to me since i arrive in this world.

I lay on my chest and began scribbling..

“Day 334 of the 924th year. Just another month before i reach my 925th year!! also i wrote this inside a cave, it’s freaking damp, but well like always, even though this journey would’ve been easier if don’t limit my magic usage i still enjoy it.”

I looked into what I’ve written and start to draw random images, just to fill the page.

Even though i doubt that anyone will read it, i still write with the intention to calm myself and make sure that i don’t forget anything.

It’s hard when i know that i’m supposed to be dead but instead waking up in a foreign world, and to top it all i can’t seem to die in this world. As written on the journal, I’ve been alive for 924 years, I’ve watch countless civilization rise and fall, Emperors rise to power and then being stabbed in the back.

I dont know the reason why i got this power, this curse. Maybe it’s  because i didn’t appreciate my life in the previous world, how i often wished that i would die. I didn’t have the stomach to kill myself back then, but i still wanted to die, so i start living recklessly. Until one day i got what i wished for.

I got into an accident, a car hit me as i cross the street. It’s hard to remember now, whose fault it is. But one thing that is still etched into my head, is how death feels like.

The warmth that’s slowly being replaced by this cold sensation, lights began to fade away and the darkness starts to creep in. Voices in the background, screaming and whispering at the same time.

I had to admit that i felt a great deal of regret back then, scared but strangely i was in peace. I don’t have much to live, so at that moment i let go.

While remembering those moments, i began to feel drowsy, i yawn and unconsciously stretch my body. As i close my eyes, i listen to the rain drops outside the cave that slowly drags me  into a deep sleep.