Prologue

"Three six two." My number is hissed, raising goosebumps to my flesh and making my heart drop. With no hesitation, I whirl to face the woman, dropping to my knees and bowing my head so only the concrete floor is in sight. But allowing me to escape the dark, rage within her glare was out of question; she hooked her nail under my chin, digging it in to my skin as she forces me to face her.

"Three six two, I've been informed you assisted in four oh seven's escape; is this correct?"

Pure horror twisted my expression, and my body tensed harder than a statue; death would be kinder than their punishment. The rules of the Valkyrie given upon surrender were final--unbreakable, but I had disobeyed two.

"Three six two, refusing to answer will get you killed." Her threat was solidified as her grip shifted on my chin, and her wrist gave a quick, counter-clockwise twist. A sickening 'pop' was heard and my jaw fell lower than it should. My fear-induced adrenaline rush overshadowed the pain, leaving me with only a dull throbbing. Mustering up what courage I had, I bobbed my head to give her confirmation, but before I even finished the nod, I was thrown to the floor. The cold, hard slab collided with my face, finally giving me enough agony to break through my terror. Each nerve in my body turned to fire, a tear seeping from my eye as I try to simply endure the pain. I wanted to lay there in a pathetic heap, but I knew better. Living being my primary thoughts, I managed to fight through the pain and get into a kneeling position. Staying down was a sign of weakness, and here, weakness is your enemy.

The Valkyrie wrenched me up and imprisoned my hands behind my back, tugging me roughly out of the stables. I didn't bother to resist, the Valkyrie were too strong and quick for us mere humans. Leo- the boy I helped escape (who was known as 407)- would have been caught already, and I would be joining him. The thought made my heart sink. 

As I walked I could feel the other humans glance as they worked, a reminder that we have been emptied of all hope for freedom and that none of us would make a stand for each other. They gave me sympathetic looks, all knowing this would happen; it was just a matter of time before someone would tell a Valkyrie I did it. 

The day was warm with a light breeze. This was the best weather for the slaves working outside, like harvesting and gardening in the few fields they grew, like working on the weapons, or even just wandering aftere certain Valkyrie who supposedly needed assistance. 

As we arrived at the head Valkyrie office, my eyes dropped to the empty seat facing the desk. I was shoved into it, my hands locked onto the seat rests. I was fine though, because I knew now that they hadn't caught Leo. I knew that if they didn't though, another horrendous monster would get to him. I'd known this since he first asked for my help. 

It was 3432 and instead of heading into a future with flying cars and trips to the moon, we had practically taken a trip back in time to the myths in history. The myths you'd been taught in school have suddenly turned into reality, where Valkyrie, Cyclopes, Owlmen and every single other legend you've heard have come out of hiding and are taking the world as their own. I'd never lived in the world before this new age, but I'd been taught about it.  I am a slave for the creatures like every other human. My job is slaving for the Valkyrie. My name is Andi, though I am not allowed to be called that. I am simply number 362.

Apparently it used to be us humans at the top of the food chain, being taught an education, farming, going to work and leading what was then a 'normal life'. It wasn't until 2578 when all the myths everyone thought were fake had come out of hiding after many years. Apparently they had ALL been true and had went into hiding to build up their defenses. When they came back, they were more advanced and stronger and easily wiped out any power from mortals. They killed half of us, half of the animals and poisoned half of the crops toshow us that they were here to stay and that they were not looking to make friends. 

After they had us under their control though, the different species fought for power until a war started, It ended with everyone splitting into small clans and living like that, the occasional fight for space brewing up 'excitement' as the Valkyrie called it. It was a battle to the top and only ended in bloodshed. 

It was a battle to the top for everyone, except the humans. We solely worked for the creatures, as slaves. People say the slaves of Valkyrie were quite lucky, but I doubt it. It was pain and hard labour.

I was suddenly brought back to reality when I heard the click of the door and Leo was thrown into the chair beside me, his hands binded.

"Andi, I'm sorry I got you into this," he whispered and I smiled. He got a blow in the back of his head for speaking.

"Number 407," The Valkyrie growled. The door opened again and in came the head Valkyrie. Like every Valkyrie, the head was stunningly beautiful, her blonde hair twisted into a ponytail at the top of her head. She definitely was a greta leader, always been first into bad, coming up with good tactics and running the clan in general, although she definitely wasn't interested in treating their slaves with any sense of respect. 

"I see we have a runaway and the helper," she said. "Same punishment for all the humans, death for the escapee and a whipping for the other. I bowed my head as I was pulled up again and taken out of the room. It was never right to treat people at our age like this. Leo and I were only 14.

As if being whipped until unconsciousness was bad enough, I also had to indulge the torture of watching my friend die, though I was grateful I wouldn't be dead beside him. He was completely pale as he was brought to the 'sacrifice tree' where anyone who was to be killed would be hung, as said to be a sacrifice to Odin, the Norse god they all worshipped. The tree had started out as a baeutiful tree, the branches carrying blooming flowers  but over time, it died, all the leaves and flowers dead and scattered around the tree. It was said that Odin had sucked the life out of not only the humans and anyone else being brought to this tree, but out of the tree too. 

A few words were said to the god, though I stared at Leo who stared right back. When they were done praying, I looked away, squeezing my eyes shut as I heard him fall. I didn't open my eyes as they took me to be whipped. 

I had been taught about Odin by the older slaves. All Valkyrie worshipped him, it was said he was a trickster god and was the main Viking god. The Valkyrie, mini goddesses who scout battlefields for honorable powerful soldiers and then take their souls to their home Valhalla, did everything that he apparently believed in, including to stay a virgin. 

I didn't feel much until they strapped me to the pole and gave me my first whip, but that was when I felt the true pain of everything. I could feel the braided leather of the whip slashing across my skin. I cried out, but that only made them whip harder, so I could only dig my finger into my wrists until it was over.  Blood dripped off my back, the droplets falling to the ground before me more intensely as I was whipped over and over again as the fresh wounds tore into my flash. It felt like my back was twisting, breaking. That was the life of a slave, I guessed.

I felt myself drifting off from the pain and right then and there, I promised myself that someday, sometime I would escape and I would change things.

***

Now that I look back to that day, only a week ago, I realise I was delirious. There was no escaping, the Valkyrie were the fastest, strongest creatures. There was no beating them and I just had to accept that. There was no beating any of the creatures, or so it was thought.

A/N: So... This is my new story! The first part is only short because it's a Prologue. I'm excited for this story and I'm actually going to delete Valkyrie vs Vampire. It's all about progress here for me, and this is me getting better. Thank you!

I want to give a huge thanks to CottonCandySugarh, the person who made my last cover! Sadly though I changed it for GenieJennie's who's was amazing! The dedication still goes to CottonCandySugarh but the next chapter's dedication will be to GenieJennie ;)

Picture on the side is who plays Andi