Long Lost

Kerri

"Kerrigan, are you even listening to me?" Aughhh, he knows how much I hate being called by my full name. Why does he even bother messing up my whole life.

Dad gave me a glare across the wooden dinner table. He made it out from scratch so one foot was shorter than the other, we had to stuck a piece of paper under to keep it balanced. I removed the plug from my left ear and murmerred, "What?"

"Young lady, just because you got in that camp for free, doesn't mean I can't stop you from going," he said in a dead serious tone while he spooned his mash potato and stuffed his mouth with a spoonful.

"What?! No! What did I even do?" I complained. Sometimes Dad can be so touchy, he seriously needs to get laid.

"Well I've been talking since you got here and you didn't even bother removing your earphones and listen to me," He sighed and placed his arms across his chest as he exhaustedly laid his back on the chair's back rest.

"Teenage daughters are supposed to do that," I tried to be funny but he just gave me a frown.

He shook his head and spoke, "Well, not my teenage daughter. At least until she's living under my roof." He returned to his food and ate it.

Well, I can't wait to move out of this rat's nest. I complained silently. I didn't want to offend Dad since I know we both deserved better than this crappy apartment. But that was all he could afford with what he earns. And since it's just been the two of us since forever, he figured a one bedroom apartment would be suffice.

The only room occupied by moi, while he bunks in the living room with his loveable sofa bed. We used to have a cat named Mustard, but I think he had enough of the small space that he decided to not go home one day.

Couldn't blame him.

"Fine Dad. Sorry," I mumbled, pushing away the peas and puncturing the corn and carrots and eating them. I then pulled both earphones off my ears and gave him a small smile. "What was it again?" I tried being the good daughter- wait I am his only daughter. Fuck, I'm the only one he has in his life. Well I think he used to have that woman who gave birth to me but then I think she decided to leave Dad. I don't know where she is or what she looks like, all I know is that her first name is Katherine. I don't even have any idea what her last name is, cause most probably she had changed it.

"I was asking if you needed extra money for that trip to that expensive camp," He raised his gaze at me, preparing his self in case I muttered hundreds of dollars. But then I don't think I'd be needing any, in exchange of attending the Camp I would get to earn a few bucks for being a "scholar".

Okay, so what is it that I'm talking about?

Camp Exclusivo.

Yep, you read it right. I, Kerri Laine, gets to go to Camp Exclusivo for Frrrrrreeee. Why you ask? Well they opened an oppurtunity for ahem, talented individuals to get a once in a lifetime chance to join them. I had to send a recorded performance of me doing my talent- which is playing the guitar. I know it isn't as classy as ballet or a violin but hey, Dad trained me since I was 4. I can play a song just by listening to it once.

But there's a catch of course. As "camp scholars" we also need to do part time. It can be as kitchen crew (serving the spoiled kids at the cafeteria), lifeguard at the camp's pool and lake (in Baywatch like swimsuits- which is like social suicide for my stick thin figure and non existing boobs), housekeeping (yes cleaning the rooms), and Horse groomer (I took this one, what could be easier than brushing a horse, right?)

"Naw, I'm good. No need to worry Dad. They're going to pay for everything," I flung my fork around, like shoo-ing an invisible fly. "And besides, I get to earn extra with the part time remember?" I beamed at him. Hoping he would not stress about it.