The last letter for my angel

A tiny but unique hill, perfectly located in the middle of a tranquil green ocean. The land had many novice shoots and iridescent blossoms yearning to come out of the already plant-rich soil. This flourishing field was tinted with emerald as the sun shimmers on the every single tip of grass. The gentle wind blows the blissful scent of spring, the buds thrive on the cherry plum, the only faithful tree of the whole land ready to blossom again like fireworks and let the world be perpetually with laughter. This land is for love, for those who love and have been loved.

The brisk morning was filled with the gentle sun beams, chorus of all kind of birds song and the fresh breeze blowing at my face. The promising warm weather fills my heart with hope and prepared me for the challenge a new day brings. Turning away from the window, I walked up to the reception desk. The lady behind the counter wordlessly handed me a charming little quaint envelope.

"She gave this to me last night, after you visited her," she told me meaningfully.

Claire, the office lady, is a really conscientious and nice woman, she has worked at the reception desk retirement homes, 'Gracious Love' for as long as I have been here, which is around 4 years. I was only intending to help for a year but I fell in love with my job, with the people here and with this amazing place. "Claire, is everything alright?" I asked noting her uncertain expression.

"Daisy, dear, why would you want to do this? Do you actually think its a good idea? Deceiving her for the whole time? Well, she is a lot happier than before and there's always a chirpy and jaunty smile on her face and she isn't as peevish as before too after she received all the letters. But... Is this really the best for her?"

I actually was surprised by this sudden question. I fell into silence and started mulling over Claire's worries. I've thought about whether I should do this or not but I've never thought about if it is the best for her... I've been doing this for the past few years and I've made up my mind, I will not change my mind because of Daisy's comments. I would rather be the villain, look at her privacy and lie to her all the time more than tell her the 'truth'. I know she wouldn't be able to bear it, which I will have to tell her respectively everyday, again and again. I shake my head, smiled bitterly and say "I would rather see her smile with hope and not know everything than see her mourn over her bereavement everyday. I'll accept all the consequences in the future, but for now, just let her be ignorant of the truth."

--------

I knocked on the door, a familiar hoarse voice sounded from the opposite side. I opened the door and closed it gently behind me, "How do you feel today?"

And she replies "I'm great, thanks for asking. That's very nice of you to ask. What's your name?"

I respond naturally as if I've never seen her before. "Hello, my name is Daisy. What about you?" Even though I already knew it- Lily. Lily is an old lady. She is 95 years old this year and she's been here for almost 15 years. She got senior dementia 15 years ago. She only has a younger sister and she lives with her family. Lily has no children and she doesn't remember anything that's happened after her loss at the war. But Lily is my favourite patient in the whole building. I don't know exactly why but when I'm with her, I feel.... warmth and hope just like when the sun shines on me and the wind whispers to me.

"My name is Lily. So what are you doing here, Daisy?" My heart lurks even though I know what my answer will link to. I say it with a sorrow expression on my face even though I've said it over a thousand times. "I'm a nurse and ...."

Her face turns from chirpy to nervous and said urgently "Really? Which section? I mean in the war. Do you know a man called Luke Malson? He is about 21 years old and he is my husband. He went to the war to fight and I haven't heard anything from him in about three months. I've missed him so much...." Her tears start streaming down her wrinkled and flush cheeks so is my tear. I've cried for all these years when I see her cry. Her fists clench tightly together and slowly, I put my palms around hers, engulfing her whole fists.