Chapter One

"Minzies" a muttered voice came from somewhere above the bedsheet covering my face. 

"Go away. I don't care who you are." 

The voice sighs. "Come on Minnie, we're going to be late again."

By now I had guessed this as Connor, so after a few more moments savouring my precious time in bed I threw myself up, startling him and giving myself a bit of a shock too.

"I feel like my brain is whirling."

Connor laughed. "Get dressed, quickly" He ordered, quick to change his tone.  "Late."

"Leave then!" I whined, my famous bad mood beginning to kick in as my dusty brain began to adjust to my surroundings and come around to the fact I had to be in school in less than half an hour. Let's just say I wasn't exactly a happy child, but I could still be brilliant. 

"I was going to" He muttered back, lifting his hands up in defeat and leaving. I yawned, pulling my over-sized top over my head and throwing it onto the floor, picking up one of my favourite (yes, favourite) bras and clipping it on. Grabbing my crappy uniform I threw the top over my head and wiggled into my trousers, throwing my blazer over to the top and sliding into my shoes. Brogues were the best things to wear for school shoes, and they were completely allowed. I stuck my hand into my hair and pushed it up, smiling as I did so. I loved my hair, it was so curly and mad, and nobody else had hair like mine. My hair is the only thing I like about myself believe it or not.

Oh, and my brilliant sense of humour.

After running a line of eyeliner over my eyelids and applying a few coats of mascara, ignoring Connor's moans and groans I grabbed my bag and threw it on, retreating to the bathroom to freshen myself up a bit before going back downstairs and getting ready to leave for school. Although it was boring it happened every day. Connor was my alarm clock almost, without him I'd never be able to wake up for school.

"Mum still out?" He asked, his tone a little softer, nodding around at the empty house.

I rolled my eyes. "Of course she's still out, she's always out. Whether it's working or visiting family, she's always out"

Connor pulled a face. "Why don't you just tell somebody?"

I shrugged. "I'll be leaving in a year."

A smile appeared on his face. "You're so good at showing you don't care Minnie." He said. "Too bad I can see when you do." 

I rolled my eyes again. "I'm fine!" I protested, taking a bite out of an apple. "Let's go."

"You're only eating an apple?" He questioned.

"I only need an apple in the mornings." I muttered back, taking another loud bite just to annoy him. I knew how much he hated it when people ate noisily, or drank noisily. A smirk wiped across my face as I saw him wince in the corner of my eye, and before he could say anything I leaped towards the front door and threw it open, revealing the sad weather results. 

Rain.

"I'm staying home" I said, taking a step backwards but colliding with Connor's chest.

"No you're not." He said, putting up and umbrella behind me and taking a step out. "We can walk.  We'll make it."

"You're crazy" I laughed, shaking my head. Connor wouldn't give in. He sighed, handing me his umbrella and taking another out from behind me. "You're so awkward Minnie."

I smiled my proud smile. "And you love it" I grinned. "Now come on, let's get to school. I'm cold and wet."

He snickered.

"Mature" I added on, rolling my eyes.

"Well someone's suddenly eager" He chuckled.

"Like I said, I'm cold and wet. Now let's go before I soak you with the rain on my umbrella."