Prologue

Gaze at the wonderful morning dews
Then the serene nightly breeze
And you will find nothing but innermost peace

_Halima Abdulsalam

The scintillating scent of fine sand that never stops to interest me is one of the few feelings I always wish will never come to an end. Sitting in the mat that was laid across a neatly swept concrete floor, and by the side is a smooth fine sand that has been there for months, probably to build the poultry farm my mum has been talking about for more than a year now. I was yet again lost in my own incomprehensible thoughts.
Walking into the aisle with my expensive peach lace, lined with silk and shining stones, with a shiny glass high heel and a....

Shafa'u su màn ra rórèyan iye hei izò(Shafa'u what are you thinking about again outside), came the voice of my mom speaking in Ebira(igbira) language, jolting me out of my never ending thoughts.

'"Nothing ma, I'm just hungry so, I decided to stay outside for a while and receive some ventilation, and maybe it might ease my hunger"'. I said nonchalantly

"So,you couldn't come to tell me or your dad to give you money to get something to eat?,
Since you know you don't eat danwake " my mom said almost shouting.

I'm sorry mum, Dad wasn't around and you were praying when I wanted to come and ask you..
Ehen! Mummy do you know what happened in school today? Hmm A girl broke a coca cola bottle on a teacher's head simply because she was punished and beaten for not completing her note.. "I said trying to change the topic, because I know I was suppose to ask her when she was done praying and she was going to mention it. Then go on and on on about how I don't like eating, how my cheeks are shrinking in and how my cheek bones are beginning to show and blah blah blah blah...

SubhanAllah!!! " she exclaimed
Hope the teacher wasn't seriously injured" She asked with her hands on her chest and her eyes popping out like it was going to fall, completely forgetting what she was saying before.

I couldn't help the giggle that escaped my lips. But I quickly covered my mouth when I looked up to see my mom shooting daggers at me.
" Anyí saà mére wún?( is something wrong with you?)"
How can you be laughing when we're talking about a serious issue.
Don't you know that single act can put her life at stake?
It can cause a brain injury that can damage the cerebrum which is part of the forebrain and can therefore lead to an acute memory loss.
It can also make her lose consciousness which can put her into a state of coma. Aside that, it can also affect the corpus collosum which protects the median fissure that.... "She continued

Oh ya Allah!!
Here she goes again with her lectures, I should have known better than to bring up this topic.

Sometimes, I wonder why my mom wasn't a doctor or a nurse, or studied any science course relating to biology but studied art and currently an office clerk.

I actually also love biology, it isn't my best subject though, but I don't like it when people start lecturing me about what I know and don't know whenever we're having a neutral conversation.

Shafa'u are you listening to me?" Came mum's voice startling me from my thoughts.

Yes mum, I am" I said rather too fast. Not like I heard anything she said after she mentioned something about medan.. Uhm.. No, was it medani or medain.. It was something about middle, the name of a term used for calculation in maths and Econo... Aha! Median fissure!.
She was admitted in 44 hospital and the parents of the girl was asked to pay for her bills. I also heard she's getting better and that the injury wasn't too deep. " I quickly added to avoid any further lecture
Okay Alhamdulillah May Allah grant her shifa. Hope sh....