Prologue

A pilot chapter of sorts and a taste of what is to come.

This is only a teaser.

Involves violence, strong language and some sexual themes, read at your own risk.

MATURE AUDIENCES.

Masquerade Bar
8:00 pm

"Damn it!"

"I'm so sorry," the dark haired man apologised smoothly, looking from his half empty cup, to the dark stain that was spreading rapidly through the tight red material of the young lady's dress. His eyes lingered on the way the fabric clung tightly to her curves, emphasising her ample cleavage and the gentle swell of her feminine hips.

His gaze crept up along her body, taking in the deep V-cut of her dress, the scarlet of her lips and the way her hair hung down her back in sleek barrel curls. His eyes reached her face, in time to see the annoyed scowl that had been present, turn into something much more appreciative. He had to make a conscious effort not to puff out his chest in her open appraisal of him. She was young, that much was certain, but old enough to be legal, just out of high school by the look of her. Her smokey eyes met his own, and she gifted him with a sultry smile.

"Don't worry about it," her voice was low and husky, sending pleasurable shivers racing down his spine. She seemed to notice the effect she was having on him, lips curling into a confident little smirk.

"Have I seen you somewhere before?"

This time he was unable to prevent the way he preened at her question. "Michael Wallows, CEO."

"Well then," she arched a brow. "A rich man like you should have no problem buying me another drink."

He threw his head back and laughed at her youthful arrogance, feeling refreshed by it. Thoroughly amused by her antics, Wallows obliged, lifting a hand to get the bar tender's attention and gesturing to the two of them. The man nodded, and set about preparing a set of glasses and hunting around for a liquor to fill them.

"And what about you gorgeous?" He drawled.

"Courtney Smith," she returned, leaning casually over the freshly cleaned table top, the seemingly innocent motion providing him with a tantalising view of her cleavage, one that had his tongue darting out to wet his suddenly dry lips. "What's a handsome place like you doing in a guy like this?"

He laughed again at her joke, taking a liking to the cheeky seductress now seated beside where he stood.

"Celebrating, actually. I just completed a company merger."

Her eyes widened in visible awe. "Congratulations Mr Wallows, you must be proud. Are your friend's here with you? Maybe they could join us for another drink or two?"

"Call me Michael," he said, nodding to the bartender who set down two generously filled glasses of amber in front of them, putting down a crumpled bill even as Courtney was reaching for her drink. "And no, they all had plans for tonight."

"Well maybe I could keep you company then?" She offered without missing a beat, not breaking eye contact as she took a deliberate sip from the tumbler, pink tongue darting out to catch the hint of foam clinging to the corner of her lips.