•Chapter 1•

I sat there dazed, staring at a caterpillar slowly inching its way across a log. I have always been lonely, not liked by many. I was avoiding my classes on the most important day of the school year: Placement.

Placement is the day when you are placed in your final clan. All of the clans work together to make the city a whole but lately it has seemed that we are beginning to fall apart. There are seven clans: Ariless, Berotik, Cerileaux, Priengo, Herafixe, Jopina, and last but not least, Frayoki. Each clan has certain characteristics. Ariless is mainly for people that are generous and loyal.

Ariless- Generous, Loyal

Berotik- Quiet, Intelligent

Cerileaux- Protective, Brave

Priengo- Hardworking, Strong

Herafixe- Motherly, Caring

Jopina- Energetic, Athletic, Fun

Frayoki- Loose, Free

I don't see how I could ever get into any of those clans. I never let loose. I am definitely not athletic or motherly or strong. I have never learned to be loyal. I am never brave. And seeing where I am now, missing all of my classes, how could I be intelligent? Although, I do have to admit that I am almost always quiet.

I would love to see what clan They put me in. I can only hope that I belong. I don't want to be the one that stands out.  I don't do well when I'm under a lot of pressure. I want to be the girl that nobody notices. I have never been good at talking to people or making friends.

Since I have explained the clans I guess that I should now explain myself. My name is Aisling. I am very quiet which you have probably already figured out. I love nature and am always fascinated by how different creatures stay alive in this small thing that used to be the world. Not very many people bother to hang out with me so I'm pretty lonely. I began to wonder if there was anybody else in this thing that we call the world that is just like me.

My thoughts were interrupted by a loud, nasally voice.

"Aisling," she called. "What are you doing outside the school on a day as important as this one?"

I didn't respond hoping that maybe, just maybe there was another Aisling at this school. Hopes were all they were. I watched as Maeve skipped over to the tree stump that I was sitting on. Twirling her hair as always, she watched me as I pulled my book out of my bag.

"You know, Ais, you can't stay out here all your life. You can't miss the Placing Ceremony!"