Metalhead

I've never been surrounded by so many people. Although the concert is due to begin in about an hour, the park in Columbus, Ohio had completely filled to capacity. I suppose that has always been the case with Metallica.

Since Jenny introduced me to the band six months ago, my life has changed.

My playlist grew at a dizzying pace when I picked songs from the band's huge selection over the years, like a gardener picking up the fruits of his labor. Metallica eventually became my favorite band, like Jenny's. You surely can imagine my reaction when Jenny excitingly announced that she had gotten two tickets for the upcoming Metallica concert.

The spotlights on the stage suddenly went out. The crowd filled the air with cries of enthusiasm – the concert began. Between the loud shouts, the quick intro of "Hardwired" began to play, turning louder and louder. Then the blinding spotlights turned on again. My eyes adjusted to the flashed stage, and there they were – James, Kirk, Robert and Lars – the gods I had seen only through my computer screen, were on stage flesh and blood, playing their divine music to the audience of believers who had come to see them, the audience forever loyal. All of us, including Jenny and I, screamed and jumped in an ecstasy that finally got loose. We were one motion, not one person left stiffly standing in the crowd – everyone was jumping, running n in circles or head-banging vigorously. Many are the ways to unload a burden to the sounds of fine music. James led the audience with his lyrical capabilities, whom I could only describe as astonishing, especially for a man at his age. The crowd sang full throat with James, united both in voice and heart.

To an outsider, Metallica's concert would be seen as a mass rally of a sect. The band members, perceived as the leaders of the sect, beat their faith in the audience through music, washing their minds with sounds. The crowd of believers, the incarnation of the sect, gathered by the stage and sang with enthusiasm and faith the words of the leaders. Here's where the outsider is wrong – Metallica is far beyond religious concepts. The music was not a brainwash instrument, but a way of joy and easing pain of the soul. One could "listen away" his troubles to the sounds of Metallica's hits, like I used to do so many times.

There came the turn of one of Metallica's greatest hits to date, as well as one of my favorites. James announced it with a shout, like he did in countless concerts before:

"For whom the bell tolls!"

Lars counted to four with his drumsticks, and the divine intro filled the air. The crowd jumped and waved the sign of the horns vigorously. I jumped with everyone surrounding me, trying to take a glimpse on the band members. Kirk quickly paced back and forth from the right of the stage to the left, while Rob chased him with his crouched stealth-like pacing, stretching his legs as far as they afford. Suddenly I felt my arm being grabbed.

"Come! Let's get closer!" Jenny yelled at me full throat.

Though she stood right beside me, her scream barely heard among the shouts of fans around and the loud music played far ahead.

I immediately agreed and gave her the lead. We slowly but surely paced between enthusiastic fans, men and women alike, who jumped and screamed like a human sea. The more the song continued, the closer we approached to stage.

Then it came, my favorite part of the song – the continuous guitar riff that quickly rises falls. Its sounds flushed my body with goosebumps. The music literally penetrated my soul and charged me up to a peek. Pumped with endless energy, I jumped and headbanged right and left. My sight blurred from the intense movements of my neck and my head ached, but it didn't bother me at all. I was one with the music. I lived the sounds. I could hear Jenny's screams of joy right beside me. Bet she never expected to see me so loose like this.