Chapter One

"I don't want to go" I whined as I gently pull the delicate straps of my dress onto my shoulder. I had this anchor in my stomach that sank right down into my core as I thought about the evening ahead. I'm not good with big crowds, especially big crowds of people I need to impress. "You'll be fine" Elle replies from down stairs, "Are you nearly done yet? The car will be here soon!" I look in the mirror once more. This gala is the last thing I want to be doing after a long week at work. But Elle needs me there for support and after all I owe her.

I walked over to the silver mirror on the landing and looked at my outfit. It had to be just right. The dress was red, more of a crimson colour, made of silk. I'm small, even in Elle's Louboutin heels, and so the dress pooled just slightly. There was a slit on the left leg that went up to just above my mid thigh and showed off my tan. The straps of the dress were golden chains, so thin and so delicate I was afraid to move ever so slightly. I had put on the necklace Elle gave to me for my 18th, a vintage Versace necklace that she refused to tell me the price of.  I check my hair, it had been styled so that it had gentle waves that reached my lower back. My makeup was beautiful, the bronze golden look really complimented my dress. Elle was always amazing at makeup, much better than I am. I took a step back, ran my hands over my dress and picked up my Chanel clutch. "Okay Anya, you can do this" I say out loud.

I took my time going down the marble stairs, making sure to not catch my heels on the silk dress. As I come into view, Elle and her fiancé, Luke, turned to look at me. "Oh wow, I may have to uninvite you! You're showing me up" she teased. I smile as best I can but my nerves are eating me up. Luke offered me a hand as I get to the final step. "I didn't know you could dress up this smart" he says, winking. Elle lets out a laugh and I smile at them both. "You're doing it for them" my conscious repeats, 'for them'.

The Bentley pulled up in front of the glass doors of the foyer. I look down at my phone. 9:30PM. Right on time. I curse Elle's family for being so prompt. As we step outside, the lukewarm air hits my skin and calms me temporarily. The chauffeur steps out and opens the first door. Luke lets Elle and I in first before sitting next to her on one side. He takes her hand in his which allows the light to catch the ring. I don't blame the light, it's quite a hard ring to miss. I remember seeing it for the first time and thinking "how are you able to lift your hand Elle?".

The drive to the manor is about 20 minutes but before I knew it we were there. The door opens and I let the couple out first, checking myself again before following them. The manor had been decorated beautifully. The banisters of the stairs leading to the marble foyer had been decorated with a variety of pink and red flowers, with lights integrated in. The house, towered over me but didn't intimidate me. This place was my home too. Every room seemed to be lit up with some sort of life and the soft late spring air danced around me. The sun was just setting and it provided a stunning background to an already magical manor. I was in a haze of awe before lights and clicking brought me back to reality.

The photographers almost blind me as they snap Elle and Luke. They shout so loud and try to fight for the best spot to get the best photo of the newly engaged couple. No doubt this evening will end up on the front cover of a gossip magazine. I am so glad they're kept behind the ropes and most importantly, kept outside. I wait for Elle and Luke to finish posing and follow them up the stairs. I have a few photos taken, but nothing compared to the endless sea of light they had received. My nerves are creeping all over my body as we went up the stairs and through the doors.

As we stepped into the lobby, I can already hear the volume of people down into the main hall. I pause, take a deep breathe and look at Elle. She looks back, grinning at me, reassuring me. With that final push, I entered the main hall, brimming with hundreds of celebrities, movie stars, business men, lawyers, the list goes on. The air in the room is thick, full of gossip and chatter.

My nerves dissolve as I notice my best friend bounding up the stairs towards me, a smile painted across his face. He congratulates his sister on her grand engagement before turning to me.

"Oh my gosh, that dress..." he practically drools.

"Nice to see you too Brad" I giggle. He winks as he offers his arm for me too hold onto. Walking in heels had never been a talent of mine. He leads me down the grand stairs, the banisters decorated in a mixture of candles and roses. As we reach the bottom of the steps, Elle's mother, Amanda embraces me in a warm hug.

"You look stunning, I've raised you to have good dress sense" she grins showing her perfect teeth. I giggle and continue to the family table. I hug everyone around me, the closest people I have to family, and I am absorbed into conversation. The nerves I felt had melted away and I hoped that tonight would be a calm evening.

Oh how I was wrong.