Chapter One

Their past.
Aviva ran from her home, clutching only a suitcase. She felt the smoke and ash fall from it's handle as she gripped it. Her hands glowing a dull red from the heat emitting from them. The sound of screaming filled her ears as people backed away from her, leaving her alone in the chaos. They were all the more eager to leave now. Crowds of families pushed past her. Fire rained down from the sky. People kept their distance. Gunshots were heard. Birds fell mid-flight from the air. Somewhere, a child cried. The stars appeared to have disappeared, raining down as fire burst from the buildings around her. Streets were flooded and soaking Aviva's socks and dress. Trees and vines crashed through windows and tore down walls. Animals attacked anyone in sight.
Aviva began to cry.
Something crashed into her side and sent her flying into the gravel, tiny pieces of stone digging into her palms. A young boy stumbled in front of her before joining her on the ground. "I'm sorry! I'm really sorry!" He cried scrambling to get back on his feet. He caught sight of Aviva's hands and paused, "You're a..?"Aviva hesitated, the look in this boys eyes wasn't fear, judgement or anger. Not like she had become used to. It was a look of interest and wonder. She nodded, warily."I'm Levi," The boy smiled slightly, helping her to her feet, "You've really got powers?" His eyes shined in excitement, he seemed unaware of everything going on around him. Aviva nodded again, her blond hair falling in her face hiding the tears that had sprung from them seconds before. She stared at the boy and saw, for once, a person who didn't fear her. This boy wanted to be her friend. The two children smiled at each other.
Levi ran his hand through his dark hair "I know a place we can hide..." he hesitated, "The bad people wouldn't find us there?" He seemed to question himself, as if he was surprised he'd actually said that. "You don't think I'm bad?""You're trying to escape like me, so..."
The two set off in the opposite direction to the fleeing public. It was a miracle that neither got shot nor killed. But it was like a shield had fallen over them, making sure they went through the warzone unscathed.
Aviva smiled inwardly to herself, she'd finally found someone who didn't fear her. Levi smiled to himself, he'd found a Difference. Both wished for the endless slaughter on both sides to stop.
Neither of the children knew that night, that these events and that simple conversation would be the start of an unforgiving complex that would ultimately tear them apart.
But lets leave them in their memory for now, just two kids running, like any other child would.