Feeling Out of place

Constantine sat herself on her Granduncle's roof, trying to clear her head and focus on the stars in the sky. All that was heard were faint crickets and gentle sobbing from the brunette adolescent. This had been a continuing issue for her. She had tried to shut it out for years, wearing dresses, going out on dates with boys like her sister Mabel, she had gone to lengths as to shutting all lgbt people she knew out of her life. She new her parents would never understand or accept any of this. Suddenly creaky footsteps were heard, and a young girl's voice including a slight lisp, due to her braces.

"Connie?", her twin's voice was as shaky as an old bridge. Connie knew her sister cared, but she could never understand; What a dreadful feeling it is to feel like you're not accepted, even by yourself. The shivering girl wiped her tears away and did her best to fake a smile. "Hey Mabes!". She whipped around to meet her sister's gaze, but as soon as saw Mabel's expression, her smile faded and she burst into tears. Mabel just wrapped her saddened sibling in a tight hug, and drew circular shapes on her back with her nimble fingers, whilst whispering calming statements in Constantine's ear.

"It's just so hard, ya know? People calling you 'pretty', and assuming it's taken as a compliment..." The twins were now sitting across from each other, still on the roof of their Granduncle's tourist trap, & Connie continued to swiftly dry any tears straying from her eyes. "a-and it's so hard to find support, ya know, for female to male..because male to female is, I guess the more...'popular' circumstance? I don't know. Sometimes I wish I could just disappear." She was beginning to get a bit choked up again. Suddenly, Connie felt her twin's arms acting out a tender grasp of a hug. "I know it's hard to accept yourself, especially when others can't accept you, but you'll always be my bro-bro, and nothing will ever change that." Connie embraced her current mood and openly sobbed into her sister's shoulder. "Th-thank you M-mabel" she choked out between sobs. "Thank y-you so much." They hugged each other once more, neither letting go for a long but comfortable amount of time.

"Mabel! Constantine! Dinner's on the table!" the twins heard their Uncle's gruff voice ring up to the attic & through the window.

"Come on bro-bro, I'll let you have my helping of veggies."

"Gee, you're so kind." Connie rolled her eyes sarcastically to dramatize her reply. "And uh, Mabes?"

Mabel hummed in curious response, shooting her twin a questioning look.

Constantine just simply smiled back. "Call me Dipper."