Chapter 1: The Beginning Of The End

I've inherited my mother's eyes, my father's temper & my grandmother's gift of playing hide & seek with dead people.

Long ago my family, the Smiths also known as the guardians of the land, made a pact with the spirits of our residing land to be blessed with a "third eye" but it came at the price just like everything in the universe. This price was that on 1 night of each year when the spirits were most active than ever, known to most as Hallowe'en, a firstborn child with the third eye shall journey into the forest and play a game of hide & seek. Most would think that a game of hide & seek wouldn't be much of a price but that's were they are wrong, for there is a catch to this game.

There were 3 main rules to this game:

1. UPON ENTERING THE FOREST, THE CONTENDER MAY NOT LEAVE UNTIL THE GAME IS COMPLETED

2. ALL RESIDENTS OF THE FOREST MAY ENTER THE GAME, WHETHER IT BE A WHITE RABBIT OR A TRUE HORROR OF THE FOREST WITH NO MIND, SHAPE, OR SOUND

3. FAILURE TO WIN THE GAME CAME AT THE CONSEQUENCE OF YOUR SOUL BEING RIPPED FROM YOUR BODY & AND MADE TO WANDER THE FOREST IN DESPAIR WHILE THE BODY WAS TORN ABOUT BY THE SEEKER WITH WHATEVER DAMAGE DONE TO THE BODY BEING DONE TO THE SOUL 10 FOLD

Our story begins an hour before the games begin on a dark Hallowe'en night.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11AM 31ST OF OCTOBER HALLOWE'EN NIGHT

"1 more 1 hour until I face my potential doom"                                                                          "Be a little more optimistic will you Sophie. There is always the chance that you'll make it out alive"                                                                                 
"Big chance since I'm actually known for my bad luck"

My name's Sophie Smith & I'm the 25th carrier of "the third eye" which has also caused the death of 24 members of my family. Even people without the third eye can tell why I'm so pessimistic about the situation at hand but unlike my family who do not wish to she the possibility. They're in denial about the possibility that I might not make it out alive that is.

"30 minutes to go" I say under my breath so no one could hear me

"20 minutes" I say my goodbyes to my family & friends as if it's the end just in case it really is the end

"10 minutes" I grab my travel bag packed with rations & other equipment that may be needed in case of emergencies

"5 minutes" I began to have a mini anxiety attack

"4 minutes" I try to calm myself down & to focus my mind

"3 minutes" I began my walk to the forest

"2 minutes" I look back 1 last time at my beloved family

"1 minute" I stand before the towering trees & take a deep breath

"0" I enter

A Trumpet Blows In The Distance Signalling The Beginning Of The Games

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The sounds of crunching leaves, ragged breaths, sounds of nature & the ticking of my clock pendent around my neck mixing in with the beat of my pounding heart within my chest. It was all that kept me calm within the towering trees.

"I have to find a place to hide now or else"

"All you have to do Sophie is survive until dawn. That's easy right. . . . right"

Running at the speed I was going I nearly ran straight past the hollow in a large oak tree far up in the tree tops & could easily be reached with the use of my grappling hook in my bag, not to mention an easy spot to camouflage while still being able to see out. I good advantage point for my situation right now.

"And they told be I was over prepared but if only they could see me now. I'm going to give them hell when I get out of here. If I survive that is"

With my right arm I threw the grappling hook high up & lightly tugged on it to see if it was secure. It was. I hurriedly climbed up before I was seen by something that may be lurking nearby. Having made it I quickly freed the hook, placed it in my bag before grabbing my camouflage sheet and placed it over the entrance of the hollow.

I flinched hearing the crunch of leaves below. It wasn't one set of movement. It sounded like many, maybe approximately 5 at least.

"Where are they. We've been looking everywhere"                                                 
"Be patient brother, we shall find them before dawn"

"They all have the same raspy voice. Maybe they are of the same species, I mean one of them did call the other brother."

One thing did puzzle me though. Why do they keep saying they, there's only one of me unless. . . . . . . . . maybe

"Yes, we shall find the boy & the girl. We must for our lord & pride"

Did I hear that right. They said "the & girl" meaning there must be another playing but I thought there was only one family in the games. I must investigate further before it's too late

IT SEEMS ANOTHER PLAYING HAS ENTERED THE GAME BUT ARE THEY A FRIEND OR FOE. WILL SOPHIE FIND THE ANSWERS SHE WANTS OR UNCOVER A SECRET LONG FORGOT BY MOST MEMBERS OF HER FAMILY BEFORE ITS TOO LATE.

IT'S A RACE AGAINST TIME TO UNCOVER THE LOST AND LEARN WHAT WAS FORGOTTEN. WILL SHE MAKE IT OR WAIT ANOTHER 10 YEARS TO FINISH WHAT MUST BE DONE.

TO BE CONTINUED?