Chapter 1

It all started when I was standing in the woods. Everything was set. All I had to do was walk forward off this cliff, and I would be flying.

"Angels can fly. Angels can fly. Angels can fly." I repeated to myself, over and over.

My best friend, my lover, she's gone now. Jumped off this exact same cliff. Maybe I'll meet her again at the bottom. Not maybe, hopefully. I miss her like Hell. I have no other friends since I graduated. They all went off to college while I decided to stay here and try to get on my feet, maybe be alone for a while.

"Angels can fly. Angels can fly. Angels can fly." I repeated again and again.

"Damn it, Anna! Angels can fly! Angels can fly! Angels can fly!" I started yelling to myself.

I put one foot slightly over the edge, but quickly took it back. Why must I be such a coward? Why can't I just jump?

It's not like it even looked that far down. Maybe I was scared to die.

That's when something hit the back of my foot. A gentle tap at my shoe. I looked down to find a pack of Smarties, and looked up to watch a head of dark curls walking away, with a Smarties wrapper in her pocket and a lonely gaze in her eyes.

And that's the story of how a stranger and a pack of Smarties saved my life.