1: Fate

-James Henry-

"But Dad, you said that I can just easily get this company after I finished my study but now you're asking me to find a young author from an ebook community?"

My voice echoed in my dads office as anger and disappointment filled my chest when my dad said that I have to do the instructed task in order to take over the company. But he had never mention anything about this task when he told me to take at least a bachelor degree in business to take over the company last five years.

"If I could give you this company anytime I want, you would've been the CEO of this company by now. But that's not how things work now. A few days before you came back, the shareholders decided to have a meeting to discuss about my choice of giving you this CEO position. They said that it's not fair for your cousin since he also have the rights in this company but however, as the CEO I am, I will make you the CEO in any way. But for now, do as what I said. We have to keep our image clean," Dad said in a strict tone.

Red Lucy Publisher Company was actually a gift from my grandfather to my grandmother as her birthday present back then in 1956. It was then given to my dad as he is the first child, out of two child. However, my uncle was against this idea and thought that it was unfair to only give the chance to the eldest son and that is why we, as in me and my cousin William, are competing for the CEO position this year since my dad is retiring and his dad is already busy with his own business so he put William to 'play this game' for him.

"Fine, I'll do this. But only because I don't want to let you down again, dad. This company is ours," I said, clenching my jaw as I thought of this competition that would never exist if William and his family just accept the fact that only the eldest one can get the company.

"I've prepared a list of some writers that have posted stories on a very famous ebook website where they have achieved more than a thousand readers. So I think, that those readers might want a hard copy of their favorite stories from that website," he said.

"What's the name of the website again?" I asked, curious about this famous ebook website. I've never really heard of any ebook website.

"I think it was Wattpad, the one that Tori told me last time. Get the list from Tori and check for the stories. Read them and check for the errors. If you think that the story can make a hit, then meet the author. Discuss with them and make them as our permanent client, if you can. That would be easier for us," my dad instructed.

I then nodded and head out of the office and off to meet Tori, my dads secretary. When I reached there, she was there with her eyes glued on the screen of her computer. I knocked on her clear glass door with a smile formed on my face and walked in when she took a glimpse at me.

"Well, well, well. Finally, you're back," she said and hugged me. Tori is actually a family. My mum and Tori had been best friends since they were little. After my mum died, she took care of me and my little sister, Carrie. She's like our second mum.

"Tori, its been a long time," I said and hugged her back.

"Any news?" she asked and I gave her a confused look. "About you and that bitch, Vanessa," she continued.

I laughed and replied,"We broke up. I broke it though, to be exact. She's just too, I don't know. There's just something wrong about her that makes me want to stay away from her," I exclaimed and Tori let out a hearty laugh.

"Told you she's not good enough for you. I'm afraid that she might want you back. Hoes like her don't care, they think they could get whatever they want," she said and let a small chuckle as she got a document and handed it to me. "This is the list that your dad asked me to prepare. I've read one of the stories and I cried. It's a really good story, I couldn't think of how she got the idea to make that story. She's just 26 for god sake," she ranted while I just scoffed. "You might want to read it. It's on page seven, number twenty-six," she said.