Goodbye...

Luke Smith was 28 now, he'd gone straight from university to a lucrative job at U.N.I.T in an advisory capacity on extra terrestrial sciences and technology, he enjoyed his work , but lately he'd been distracted and the components of the now dismantled Cybermat might just as well have been a jigsaw puzzle for all it was worth to him at that moment. In his current state of mind it was no better than that

Earlier

He picked up his mobile and hit the answer button - "talk to me". it was Sky. His sister; an alien foundling who had been bred to be a doomsday device for a race known as The MetalKind but his mum had seen that things played out differently.

"Luke, it's Mum....she's had a relapse. How soon can you get here?"

"Look, Sky i'll get there as soon as i-"

"She's asking for Him again"

NOW....

He pulled up in his battered VW Beetle in the carpark of the "Sainted Physician" Nursing home. Switching off his engine, he leaned over the back of his seat to his passenger "You coming boy?"

"Affirmative Master Luke!" Chirped K-9. Luke got out and opened the back door and lifted the robot dog out and put him on the ground "Good boy" he said forcing a smile. He made his way to the private wing of the home with his computerised pooch close behind, various staff members looked at K-9 in bemusement then went back to the business of caring for their clientele.

In the waiting area outside his mother's room sat Sky, with Clyde and Rani Langer all red-eyed from crying. Clyde a few years ago finally plucked up the guts to tell Rani how he felt, much to his relief it turned out the feelings were mutual. They eventually got married which made everyone happy... apart from her dad, but he soon warmed to Clyde.

"Hey" he held out his arms and Sky ran to him and they hugged, her sobs muffled by his coat. He wanted to cry too, but he felt he had to be Strong for her, for them.

Looking at Clyde, who was now standing, Luke said " Cool guy fist bump or  hug like wusses?" Clyde replied "fist bump everytime, mate" They raised their fists , bumped them but the resistance to not hug failed, and they hugged. "Scuse me" said Rani "Can i get in on this Hug?"

Luke put his arms out, then his jaw dropped "You...you're....how?" The pregnant Rani punched him on the arm then joined the hug. The four of them gently crying.

"Excuse me" a voice came from behind them. Luke turned to be met by a young nurse "You must be Luke" He nodded at the young woman "your mum is asking to see you and your friends. HOWEVER, she is very tired so please try not to overtax her"

They all filed into the room which was lit by a small lamp .There in bed propped up by pillows was Sarah jane Smith Her blue eyes still had that spark and her smile still filled Luke and the others with warmth and love.Her hair was white now, and to Luke, she looked so small and delicate. A far cry from the woman who had faced down the likes of Daleks and Slitheen.

"Luke" she said to her son, her voice barely a whisper. Pulling up a chair he sat by the bed and took her hand , shocked by how cold it was.

"Mum i am so sorry i tried to get here sooner I-" she hushed him "It's fine , really. What matters is you're here now" Luke blinked back against what proved to be an overwhelming flood of tears . She let go of his hand and gently brushed the tears on his cheek away "I am So proud of you and the fact you work for U.N.I.T. so very proud of you" She took as deep a breath as she could "Luke Smith, defender of the earth.MY SON." she smiled again, that smile that radiated pure and unconditional love. Luke beckoned to Sky to come and join him which she did. "Hello you" said Sarah Jane she closed her eyes for what seemed an eternity. Opening her eyes again She said "Are you blowing up  lightbulbs with your temper , young lady?" The girl rolled her eyes trying to contain a blush. "MUUUUM i haven't done that since i was a baby!" Sarah Jane laughed and took her hand "I'm Just teasing you.... love you so, so much. It got too much for Sky and she ran out of the room sobbing.

Clyde and Rani were stood at the other side of her bed,. their faces streaked with tears.

"You two... married with babies on the way....i'm so happy for you both.Clyde, you will be so good as a father, so very good. SO sad Maria couldn't be here though"

Maria Jackson Clyde and Luke's friend, was working for NASA now . She was on the international space station working on something called  "The Satellite five Project" She had sent  messages to  Sarah Janes Care staff to pass on every day.

 The next half hour the group spent  reminiscing about the old days and their adventures. They still teased Clyde and Rani for being grounded by the Judoon.

Sarah cried out in her sleep making them stop and look up "Doctor! where are you, you impossible man" Then she settled again.

At that moment a nurse came in the room "C'mon guys let her rest now. plus, visiting hours are over" One by one the foursome kissed the sleeping woman on the forehead and left the room

The four friends stood in the carpark "Thanks for coming guys. I think  mum wouldn't want us to feel like this. You know, this is her greatest adventure yet" They all nodded "Bannerman Road?" asked Clyde.They all agreed and went back to their house and the attic reliving the memories of Sarah Jane Smith . Reporter, adventurer and Mum.

Back at the nursing home, Sarah Jane slept deeply unaware of the gentle breeze in her room that made a dried flower display rustle.

Out of the shadows stepped a man, quite tall with white-blonde hair, he was wearing a cape over a black velvet jacket with a frilled shirt. Standing by her bed he blinked back tears , leaning down, he whispered in her ear ."You were magnificent" Then he stepped back in to the shadows

 Moments later, another figure appeared. He was wearing a fedora and a long coat, a long colourful scarf around his neck. Gently taking her hand he kissed it  "Sorry about Aberdeen old girl" he smiled a sad smile, then he too was gone.

The man with the floppy brown hair, wearing a bowtie and tweed jacket , just stood there , tears filled his eyes , his bottom lip trembling as he wrung his hands. A young woman with red hair took him gently by the arm and led him into the darkness.

Silence. Save for the ticking of a clock.

he sat there by her bed, his brown great coat folded and on his lap . He stifled a sob. she opened her eyes and turned her head to look at him. " You came" her voice weak "Yeah," he smiled weakly ."I came to see you Sarah. I'm sorry i made some mistakes recently" he sobbed "I'm sorry. i'm so sorry"  his whole body shook as his hearts broke "I could- i could have" she took his hand "It's fine, i promise you it will be okay"  He wiped his face with the palm of his hands "Look at me 903 years old and blubbering like a baby. what must you think" She smiled her blue eyes now wet with tears. She shook her head "Nonsense...Doctor? please say it to me" His tears splashed the bedspread as he broke down again he looked up at her "I can't Sarah I-"

"SAY IT.PLEASE" She said firmly as she wiped tears from his cheek. Then, her hand fell to her side, and with a sigh and a smile, her next great adventure had begun. The Doctor sat there and wiped his eyes, then he took her hand and stroke it gently.

Taking a deep breath he kissed her cheek and granted her final wish

"Goodbye........MY Sarah Jane."