Chapter 1

June 12, 1775

I waited as the train neared the main Boston station. I had spent the last two weeks on this cramped train and I was eager to get off of it. I would have been here so much faster if those patriots didn’t throw out all of that tea. I quite enjoyed my tea after all. Grabbing my bag I felt the train come to a stop. Taking a deep breath, I wandered onto the platform. I hadn’t counted on getting this far . . . As I shuffled around the station I started to think of a plan. Well other than my original one. Get to Boston and join Washington’s army. By the time word of Washington’s plans had reached England I was quick to sneak onto a boat to New York. Granted it has been two months since then and I am only just now arriving.

I hope it's not too late.

As I turned a corner I crashed into a tall man.

“Oh, excuse me good sir!” said the man.

“Oh it was no big deal, after all, no one was hurt.” The man got stiff as I spoke, “I’m sorry, is something wrong.”

The man quickly composed himself, “No, nothing is wrong. But do you mind if I ask where you are heading?” His words confused me. Looking around I began to realize that I had left the station some time ago.

“I am, uh, I am looking for a place to stay for a while?” What should have been an answer to the man’s question, ended up being a question in itself.

“I might know a place.” Said the man as he started to walk away, “How long are you planning on staying?”

“I don’t know yet, just for the night would be help enough though,” I said struggling to keep up with the taller man.

“I am truly sorry, but I don’t believe I know your name.”

“I am George Washington, may I ask whom you might be?” Said the man -- Said General Washington.

“Oh! General, I am so sorry I didn’t recognize you!” I said in a quick panic.

This very man is the reason I came to America.

The General laughed at my surprise, “ It's quite alright, I wouldn’t expect such a young boy to know.”

“With all due respect sir, I am not that young,” I said my face flushing.

“Well, how old are you son?” The General said stopping in front of a house.

“I just turned 17 last week, sir,” I said ignoring the fact that he referred to me as son.

“Just as I thought, a mere boy.”

“Sir, would you call Mr. John Gray a boy or a man?” The General paused and turned to me, “ Mr. Gray is a man of 16, though the differences between the two of you are rather grand.”

“You are only saying that because he is in the war.”

The General paused, “Peradventure, but fighting in the war is enough to make any boy into a man.”

“Well, sir, what do you think I came here to do?”

Mr. Washington smiled slightly before turning to the door opening it and gesturing for me to walk in.

Taking a few steps into the estate I took in the surroundings. It was an elegant entrance. Two closed doors stood on either side of a staircase that held a rather impressive clock. Possibly a dutch one, but I wasn't really sure. Nonetheless, if this was just the entrance I can only imagine what the rest of the house is like.

“Well, son, if you still wish to fight in the morning I will gladly let you. We are still in need of a few more soldiers, But I must ask you to follow me for now.” Said the General before walking up the staircase.

At the top of the staircase was a small hallway. It didn’t look too different from the entrance, but I was still entranced. The General walked over to one of the doors. “If you come up the way we just did then remember first door on the right, and if you need me I am right across the hall.”

I thanked the General and walked into my bedchamber.

It was a rather large room, at least when compared to what I was used to. Busying myself with unpacking I was rather startled when a knock came from my door hours later.

“General Washington has requested that you join him for dinner, sir.” Said a young girl from the other side of the door.

“Thank you miss, I will be down in a moment,” I said smoothing out my shirt.

When I opened the door the girl was gone.

Well, that was rather odd.

I walked down the stairs and paused. I have absolutely no clue where his dining room is. As I was about to go looking for the General a loud knock made me jump. I stared at the door not sure what to do after all this isn’t my house. Before I could choose between the two evils a young girl, presumably the same one from earlier, opened the door.

A young man who looked only a year or two older than me was standing at the door. He had a certain manner about him. Like he could be very smart, but also the biggest idiot.

Then again even the world's biggest idiot can look a little smarter when they are holding so much paper.

I could only begin to wonder what it all said.

“Oh hello, Mr. Hamilton. The General is in the dining room as of now, but I could go get him for you.” The girl seemed to know this Hamilton figure. I suppose I should talk to her later, she might know someone important.

“That’s alright, I know my way,” Hamilton replied before walking through one of the doors.

Rude, he didn’t even acknowledge me. Dismissing my thought I followed through the door Hamilton went into. Through the door was a parlor. A door in the far right corner leads me to the men.

“General, I only came to give you the papers.”

“Well, even so, you are here now. It wouldn’t hurt to grab a bite.”

I quietly watched the two men. It might be better to just go back to my chamber. I wouldn’t want to disturb what might turn out to be a meeting.

As I turned to leave I heard the General speak up once again. “Oh good! You are here too, please, take a seat.” I looked between the two men and made my way to an empty seat.

“General, I simply can’t stay. After all, you have a guest.” Hamilton said.

“Oh, this is not just a guest Hamilton. He is going to be joining the war.” Once again I was confused at the General’s words. If I didn’t mention the war would I have not been allowed to stay?
And to think I considered the General to be kind of heart.
Hamilton’s face momentarily lit up as he turned to me. “You are?”

“Well that is what you were just told, was it not?” I said not really in the mood to talk.

“Wow, British and a jerk. Welcome to the army.” Hamilton sneered.

“Wow, Caribbean and inconsiderate. Welcome to America.”

“THAT IS ENOUGH!” The General snapped.

Despite our apologies, Hamilton and I ended up glaring at each other throughout the rest of the meal.