an introduction

Selo is down! Quick!
Selo! Selo!
Selo, brother! Selo!

My commander calls out to me, but he knows I can't answer, because my left leg just flew by inches above his head.
Death was always close by for us.
At every breath... At every sip... At every laugh... At every step... Death was our confidant, friend and only lover.
Finally we're together.
I'm content with my situation but... What about those I leave behind?
My wife, we got married 4 years ago. I'm not sure if we've been met 4 times in those 4 years.
Soon, a colonel and psychologist will appear before her. And an ambulance. Seeing them will cut her to the bone right away.
Any statements, any words have no more meaning.
At first, they'll look at each other. Then they'll tell her that I fell a martyr. She'll face the truth at that moment. She'll hold herself back from crying.
For a moment.... She'll remember the last time we saw each other.
How she bid farewell.... Our dreams of a garden house... The vegetables we were going to plant... All is gone now. And she'll never forget me for the rest of her life.
Bad news travel fast they say, how true.
You can't really call this bad news, but anyway.
Take a good look at my father's face. They have armor piercing bullets.... And my father has a heart piercing glance.
Take a look at his solemn expression. On one hand the grief of losing a child.... On the other, the pride of having a martyr son. This glance is beyond the scope of a movie or a book.
He's not going to shed a single teardrop... This is just another way to say: "you can't defeat us;don't try in vain".
It's just my mother who saddens me, she would jump out of her skin each time the phone rang. Each time I called and said " Mom".tears would run down her cheeks. She would burst into tears before even saying anything.
Give me your blessing mom.
Your son has been martyred.
Keep on praying for me... Though I know you will.
I entrust my motherland to you, and you to God.
Don't worry about me mom, they take good care of me here. Don't feel troubled.
Our neighbors.... My childhood friends, all my relatives.... They're going to want every body to know..... That someone from our village has become a martyr.
The whole village will be decorated with Turkish flags.
Each and everyone is a sign of pride.
Never mind the tears. They're all proud.
And when the blind imam Salim recites the salah.... All is done.
If only you could hear his touching voice.