Prologue

"Big brother! I'm home!"

A small, fragile boy ran in the house, kicking his shoes off at the door. He went to the living room and dropped his backpack on the floor, crouching to open it up. "Big brother, I drew something for you! I really want you to see it!" He looked at the paper with a big, proud smile on his bruised face. I hope he likes it.

He glanced around, listening out for any noise. What's taking so long? "Big brother?" He walked to the window that faced the backyard, spotting a white ute parked up on the grass. Huh? When did daddy get back? I thought daddy finished later? His heart sunk.

THUD

The sudden sound made the small boy jump, putting him off balance and causing him to fall on his back side. "Ow!" Rubbing the pain away, he listened out again. It sounded as if someone was struggling. Shuffles, thuds and gagging noises.

Scared, the little boy immediately searched for the home phone to call emergency, only to find that it wasn't in the dock. Mummy doesn't come back till 10pm, what do I do? What do I do? The hallway cupboards caught his attention, he walked there in a hurry and grabbed his brothers baseball bat. Even though the young boy didn't want to hurt anyone, he needed to at least have something to protect himself and his big brother. Brother. He ran as quietly and quickly as he could up the stairs, making a sharp turn to his brothers room.

He halted just outside, his breathing uneven and his body trembling. Please be alright. He said to himself repeatedly. He took a deep breath. A foul stentch itching his nose. His eyes widen as he knew this smell all too well.

Blood.

.