Chapter 1

Ember Jackson sat in her advanced algorithms class at her computer working on her assignment for the time being. She was focused until she got a text from her roommate asking if she could do a favor for her.
Isabella: Hey can you do me a favor?
Ember: What do you need?
Isabella: Can you get some food on your way back to the apartment? I can't leave and I'm hungry.
Ember: Sure, I get out of here in 20 minutes. What do you want?
Isabella: Chinese food. I just need some Chinese food.
Ember: I'll get it on my way home. See ya then.
Ember closed her phone and returned to finishing up her assignment. Once her class was dismissed, Ember headed to the campus Chinese place and got her usual along with her roommate's. The walk to her apartment was not that long, but Ember got distracted easily. By the time the red head got to her apartment, it had been 20 minutes.
"What took you so long?" The brunette asked from her spot on the couch. Isabella was pale, even for herself.
"When did you get so sick?" The red head responded. Ember was quite concerned for her roommate as they had been through the last three years together.
"Work, it's why I wasn't in class today. The club had someone sneeze and cough on me."
"This is why I say don't work there. You could be working anywhere else, even here on campus."
"Yeah, well the tech shop isn't for me, I'm a business major, not computer science. To be honest, I don't want to work as a cashier at the shops here, I like the club." Isabella responded, she had been frustrated with Ember for a while at that point. Ember just grabbed Isabella's chicken fried rice and gave it to her and she grabbed her tofu lo mein and they both ate in peace.
"Hey I have my shift in like ten minutes, you fine alone Bella?" Ember asked in a sincere tone. She was really worried about her roommate.
"Yeah, I'll be fine Em. I'll probably sleep. I need it." Isabella responded. With that answer, Ember grabbed her vest and hat and threw them on over her jeans and shirt.
On her walk to work, she ran into a professor of hers who was in a rush.
"Hey Mr. Sanchez, what's got you in a hurry?" Ember asked.
"Ember, someone from your class has a meeting with an important CEO, I am about to find out who. I have to go." The male exasperated as he started to speed off. That caught her attention, everyone knew that one business was near the campus, and it was on by Nicole Jones. Take a Rain Tech was prestigious and scared so many people because of how strict the boss was. Ember had to shake her head to dismiss the information so she could focus on her job.
"Hi miss, I would like an upgrade on my phone. It's only a year old, but I need the newest." One customer said, Ember grabbed the phone and saw that it was an iPhone X.
"Would you like the XR or XS? Both are great, but the XS is the more expensive one." Ember replied.
"I want the XS max." Ember asked her remaining questions on color, storage and what carrier she had. Once all was finalized, she rang her up and began the start up process for the customer. She just had to add in the SIM card to switch the phone number and the customer thanked her and walked out.
The rest of her shift was uneventful, Ember had a few more customers who needed help and she was the best with troubleshooting the computers and phones. One customer had a few questions that were meant to insult Ember, but she knew how to handle the barrage since many men questioned her qualifications to do tech support in a place like the tech shop.
As Ember was walking out of the building for her shift, she was texted by her roommate about a letter she had gotten, which surprised her since it was night. Campus mail came in earlier in the day but Ember just walked home quickly to see it.
"It's so fancy Em, who do you know that would have a letter this fancy?" Isabella asked. Ember just shook her head, not knowing who would send something so formal. She opened the letter to see in large letters Take a Rain Tech followed by her name. Ember let out a gasp as she read the letter. She was in shock that the Nicole Jones wanted to meet her based on what she had done in class.
"Is it good news?" Bella asked.
"Great news! My class work got me a meeting with Nicole Jones from Take a Rain Tech. It's tomorrow." Ember squealed as she was excited and scared. Ember had heard about how hard that Nicole was on her employees, but not much was known about her aside from her company.
"Want a shot to celebrate? I can make a few." Bella offered. Ember shook her head since she wanted to work more on her algorithm she started earlier in the day in her class. Bella sighed and went to her room while Ember sat on the couch typing on her laptop. She was working till midnight when she saw what time it was and went to bed. Under her covers, the redhead couldn't sleep. She was far too nervous about her meeting in the morning. By the time she finally we t to sleep, it was almost one in the morning. Ember had a nightmare from a suppressed memory that no one knew about and it woke her up in a cold sweat. Once she calmed herself, she went back to sleep to get rest before her big day.

Hey I'm back with a story and it isn't a fan fic. I am really into this story so please give it a chance. The story is coming from a bunch of stories I've read. Also happy pride month to all my fellow LGBT people.