A Paper Crane

Nico's POV 

The teacher shushed everyone's anticipating whispers and gossip and lead us to the buses. I sat next to Hazel, my adopted sister. I tried to start a conversation over all the racket of students being well, high schoolers(shiver). 

"Oh my word Hazel, these people, it's as if we're going on a horror movie set. Once we get there they'll probably be bored out of their minds.", I complained.

She frowned. "Well they did say there were some people there that are... well I don't know, unstable?"

"Yeah, potentially unstable not possessed." Mental illness was a topic I felt strongly about, being bipolar myself. I'd experienced the stigma of mental illness first hand. It's a uniquely painful experience. The bus stopped at a red light. I felt someone elbow me in the side. Ah, the Latino elf who is constantly on a major sugar high. 

He grinned from the seat next to me. "Do you think they'll have creepy dolls there and messages on the walls?", he joked eagerly.

"Leo!", Annabeth scorned him. She was stuck sitting next to him this ride and did not look overjoyed about it. "That's rude, they are real people with real rights and feelings."

"Well sorry that I thought the field trip might actually be interesting.", Leo said.

Annabeth huffed. "Actually I think the visit will be really interesting. So many different symptoms to analyze and study. So many different unique cases."

Leo smirked. "Are you a creepy nerd or are you a creepy nerd?"

I snorted in agreement which earned a glare from the blonde. We continued to attempt a conversation. Key word, attempt. Annabeth did the talking the entire way there. 

The bus came to a stop and a teacher clapped their hands for attention. 

"Alright listen up please! Before we go in I'd like to set some ground rules Alright? First, we'll be conversing with the patients here, and I expect you to treat them nicely. I've been told many are excited to meet you. Now I know that culture has led you to believe Asylums are only for mad men or killers. Let me just say that idea disgusts me, it simply isn't true. I'd like to add that Asylum is a dated term is generally best used in historical context only. Instead the term psychiatric hospital is a less stigmatizing term to use. I want you to remember that everyone who you will be visiting has agreed to it and that you should keep in mind that it's much less charity and much more a learning opportunity for you. The other rule is to visit in pairs, buddy system ok?", and with that we filed out of the buses and entered through the front doors. It was a neat, decent sized room with a few waiting chairs, magazines, awareness flyers and a reception desk. The receptionist had a warm smile, she had brown wavy hair. Her name tag said: Hello, my name is Sally Jackson. She appeared to be in her mid thirties.

"Hi kiddos,  who are you all on this fine day?", she greeted. A few of us mumbled good and alright. Sally gave a bright and genuine smile at us. "Follow me down this way."

We followed her through several Cora doors and double doors opened up to a large room with tables filled filled with craft supplies. People from about their teens to young adults were braidin* yarn, writing or drawing in books and paper, or watching a Disney movie. It was Finding Nemo. I looked at one woman who looked about twenty something who was drawing and walked up to them with Hazel.

"Um- hi.", I said awkwardly. She looked up and nodded. 

"You part of the high school group?", she asked. Her blue eyes wandered around the room.

"Yes.", Hazel said. "What're you drawing?"

I looked down at her paper which was a beautiful illustration of a sad woman. Much more symbolism was imbedded into the details of the painting, such as a porcelain mask held artistically against the women's face. 

"That's amazing.", I said, because it was. We chatted about life for a little bit. Although I only heard about her experiences in the most simple terms, he actually had a really Interesting story. Other people we talked to were a bit more reserved. But who can blame them? Then Sally approached us with her checklist.

"So how're things going?"

"Great actually.", Hazel replied.

"Oh, that's good! Yes I knew this group was a good fit. Your class is heading on to their individual visits. Ah yes, you and Nico are with me. I'll supervise." We nodded and followed her out of that room and up a flight of stairs, than another. We passed a sign that said twenty four hour supervision required. Hazel looked a bit jumpy next to me. Sally walked up to a security guard and said, "these two are visiting room fourteen." The security nodded and let us into a room labeled fourteen.  I looked around and saw a very simple bed a very simple nightstand and a door in the back labeled bathroom. Then I noticed a teen boy a little older than me, in a corner. He had messy hair and sea green eyes. They seemed dulled somehow though, indifference broken up by worry.

"Hello Percy, we have some friends.", Sally said in a soft voice.

He hesitantly stood up and stepped forward. "Hey."

"Hi, I'm Hazel and this is Nico." 

"Why?", he asked, looking at Sally.

"Well you're having a better time so we figured you'd go on the list. They're just teens like you."

Why was this guy under such supervision? He just seemed like a cranky teenager. Perhaps my conclusion was hasty however as I noticed he keep glancing back at the wall behind him, looking like he wanted to yell at noise no one else seemed to hear. He expression turned from annoyed to anxious as he decided to sit slumped over at a desk in the corner.

I looked at Sally for an explanation. She looked sad, really sad. "It's not my place to disclose diagnoses." She gestured toward Percy who seemed to be zoned out. "He probably can't talk right now, goes mute sometimes. I'm his mother by the way." She sighed. "I whish he could have more social connections. He's very caring and sensitive."

"Your talking like he's not right there.", Hazel commented.

" Oh yes well it's not my place to list the reason but he struggles with disassociation quite often and I don't think Percy will be able make friends anytime soon, you may leave if you want."

"I'll be his friend.", I said. At what I said Percy seemed to perk up. With a poor attempt at nonchalance he walked over to his night stand. He grabbed an light blue origami crane and held it out to me. His practiced casual expression was betrayed by his eyes that sparkled with happiness. That's how I met Percy Jackson.