University's Kids

“Endless moons, an opaque universe, thunder, tornadoes, the quaking earth. Rare moments of peace, forehead up against my knees, arms around my head, I thought, I listened, I longed not to exist. But life was there, a transparent pearl, a star revolving slowly on its own axis.”

I was drinking my coffee, my eyes not leaving my copy of Shakespeare’s As You Like it . He calls this comedy?  Its freaking serious romance and tragedy. I’m not even sure if its English. 

High or old English, maybe. Whatever they call it.

I licked my lips and savored the taste. Sugary, creamy and just a pinch of cocoa in it. Just the way I like it. The atmosphere was perfect. It was better than studying in the library. Undergraduates were catching up with each other or just merely studying. The yellow trinket of lights and the mixture of bricks and wood make it all cozier. Beside me, the glass window moistens. It’s going to rain, but I have to finish Shakespeare’s novel tonight. My literature professor gave us a deadline for the essay tomorrow at sundown.

He assumed each student in his class read one of Shakespeare’s novels. I remember Mr. Davis smiling when he walked to class, as if giving crammed essays is a delight to his students. He actually gave us the deadline the day after tomorrow, which by the way, it still isn’t enough; but the whole class groaned and threw him unnecessary comments.

He realized none of us actually read one of Shakespeare’s novels.

Read, maybe. But not understood it. 

So boom.

He got all mad, shortened the deadline and made this essay 40% of our grade.

I went straight to the bookshop after the class. I bought the first book on the top shelf on the Shakespeare’s category, paid for it, and damn straight headed out for Princeton’s coffee shop.

I closed my eyes and groaned through the pages of my book. I give up. I mean, I love books. I really do. I go from classics to occasional sci-fi, I even read about mythology. But one thing I can’t stand is  William Shakespeare. His books make me think like I haven’t enrolled at any school at all or it’s my first time to learn the A-B-C’s. 

I have a feeling if he’s still alive, a class of English literature would throw down a hunt party. And I have a feeling I’ll be joining them too.   

Thunder roared through the twilight skies. I figured it was my cue to leave. I still have to walk to my dormitory, and I’m not bringing a coat. I grabbed my things and put it in my messenger bag. Thunder roars again. I placed a five dollar bill on the wooden table for my coffee and left. 

The weather was cold. Drips of rain started to fall. I have a feeling I wouldn’t be accompanied by silence tonight. I reached the dormitory and smiled at the guard on duty, Bob. “Hey, Bob.”

“Good evening, Ma’am.”  He nodded and opened the doors for me. 

Well, thanks to my parents, I had the best dorm possible. It had a lobby on the main floor, and a lounge as well to keep us occupied. Yellow chandeliers hung from above. The couches were black and had curves that screamed luxury. Carpeted floors, plasma televisions. Far from left, there was a bar made of granite with stools. It was more like a hotel than a dormitory. It also has an elevator for all five floors. I know, they exaggerated. Five floors needing an elevator. The university owns it too.

 I take the spiral stairs. I live in the second floor, which is pretty okay. My combat boots leave a stain in the carpet. Oh no, the staff practically treasures the carpet. I walked straight ahead then made a turn to my left. Seven steps more and there was my room, right in the middle of the hallway.