Chapter One

"Tessa, get down here right now!" my mom shouted through the door. I was getting ready for my wedding. I was in my dress, nervously tugging at the bottom of my dress. The thing was, I never really wanted to get married. I had bigger plans than the ones chosen for me. "Tessa!" my mom shouts again.

"I'll be out in a second!" I yelled back. I fixed my veil then opened the door.

"Oh my gosh Tessa, you look beautiful," my mom gasped, putting her hands over her mouth.

"Thanks," I muttered.

"Today is gonna be the best day of your life," my mom began, "weddings are magical. I remember when me an your day got married." My mom continued to ramble on about her wedding day. I was far to nervous to listen.

The boy I was marrying was named Jonas. He was rather attractive. Tall, muscular, and piercing green eyes. All my friends told me how lucky was. "He's a very handsome man," and "He's very kind," were said very often. I like Jonas, too. He's always be there to help me and is one of my closest friends. The thing us, I don't feel the Connection. See, when you meet your selected spouse, your supposed to feel the Connection, but I didn't feel it. Neither did Jonas. We discussed it many times on private dates. Jonas said he felt to young to get married. He would always say how 20 is a time to have fun, not worry about having a family. I, on the other hand, just don't like our system. I don't want to be a stay at home mom, or have 5 kids, or get married. I want to be able to make my own choices.

My train of thoughts was interrupted by my mom. "Are you ready to go down?" she asked. I nodded, but on the inside I was screaming no.