Happiness

Bosco Wong is now 80 years old, living in a retirement home. He has lost most of his memories, but he remembers everything that matters, at least, everything that matters to him.

It's 8am and Bosco has just woken up, and he's eating his breakfast. Once upon a time someone would cook delicious meals for him every morning, but now he has lost all his teeth and uses dentures and can only manage porridge and a hot drink.

After breakfast, Bosco takes some time to catch up on the news. He forgot how to use his smartphone many years ago, and the newspaper is his only source of entertainment. He'll spend several hours looking at the papers, which his fellow retirement home residents find a peculiar habit. Maybe he needs more time to process the news, maybe his eyesight has gotten worse and his spectacles are becoming less helpful. He said before that he tries to spot familiar faces in the photographs. Some people think he just wanted to see one particular person.

Once in a while, volunteers would come to spend time with the residents of the home. Today was one of those days. Bosco had befriended one of the volunteers.

"Uncle Chak!" a woman greeted.
"Ah Yee." Bosco smiled.
"I'm not Ah Yee, I'm Sau Man." the woman reminded. "So, how are you?"

Bosco couldn't remember how long he talked with the woman, but he enjoyed it.

Bosco usually goes to bed at around 8pm, because he simply has no energy to stay awake any longer, and he has nothing to do anyway. He grabs a photo frame from his bedside, gently caresses the glass covering a worn-out print.

He recalls the conversation with the volunteer from earlier on.

"Uncle Chak, are you happy?"
"Yes. I'm happy. Because I was able to meet someone like you."

Bosco wiped the tears that were welling up in his eyes and set the photo frame back on his bedside table.

"I'll always love you, Hang Yee." he says to himself silently before settling into bed and pulling the blanket over himself.

A/N : sorry if this is really bad! The "are you happy" line is from promised neverland and this story was partially inspired by Yonezu Kenshi's song Lemon. I honestly don't know if anyone still watches / remembers TVB but Bosco and Myolie were my favourite couple and I was so sad when they broke up :(