chapter one

Fire.

That’s all she could feel. The fire that was dangerously close to burning her skin. She should run, she should try and get out of the house and save herself but all she could do was stand there and look at the door to her mothers room; the room where her mother and younger brother where currently sleeping.

She shook herself out of her trance and back into the world. Around her the house she lived in her whole life burned; memories that have built up in the house burned with house. She should run and save herself she knew that but she had to try and help her mom and little brother. She went closer to the door and tried to open it but the handle burned her hand she shouted and tried to listen as closely as she could over the rage of the flames, she tried to hear her family. She stood there not hearing anything and panic swam through her veins and she pounded on the door trying to kick it down since the fire was still raging around her she figured it would be easier to  destroy the wooden door and she was right. The door started giving around her fifth kick but so was her body the smoke was slowing her down she couldn’t get enough oxygen. The door was almost out one more kick and she would get to her family. Time seemed to slow around her as she prepared to kick the door down and then she was outside on the lawn in front of her house she noticed the air temperature before anything else and she almost feel as the kick she had prepared to knock down the door hit nothing but air.

She looked around trying to make sense of where she was when she saw her house burn away she ran towards it as sirens where faintly heard in her ears but she was pulled back. She turned around to see a man dressed in an all black suit and tie. He looked calm which seemed odd considering her house was burning down and her family along with it.

“What are you doing! Let me go my family’s in there!” she screamed and pulled against the man whose hand was still on her arm. She needed to save her family, even if she died she had to try.

“Calm down there's nothing you can do, they’re gone. Just stay here kid.” He spoke in a smooth british accent. 

“What! No! No, they’re still in there! Let me go!” she finally felt the tears on her face since her body was no longer burning up from the heat of the fire, she didn’t care about the tears though all she could focus on was her struggle to get away from the man still holding her.

The sirens got louder and she finally thought that her family would be safe, but she still struggled against the man and his iron grip. She ended up falling on her hands and knees as she was suddenly let go. She turned to look once more at the man that was holding her, but he was gone all she saw where the firefighters race out of the truck towards her house. She stumbled to her feet and tried to run into the house but again she was held back, she turned expecting to she the British man again but it was a firefighter this time.

“My family’s in there! I need to save them!” Again she struggled against the fire fighter this time not the strange man in black.

“Calm down, we are going to try and save your family.” He tried to use a peaceful voice but it was anything but calming. She noticed his choice of words he said they’ll “try” but she wanted them to more than just try. The firefighter pulled her back but she struggled against him but again her 11 year old body was no match for a grown man.

 He pulled her toward an ambulance and sat her down, the paramedics wrapped a blanket around her and searched her body for any injuries, but besides minor burns on her arms and back she was fine on fact she didn’t eve feel the pain.

 She watched the rest of the firefighters who ran into the house before all run out before the house collapsed she searched to see if they were carrying anyone out of the house but they weren’t and in that moment she broke. She couldn’t cry more than she already was but her heart stopped beating and she didn’t think that it would resume its pattern and when it did she wish that this was all a nightmare and shell wake up soon. She didn’t.