Chapter 1 •On The Run•

"If you don't like the way things are done around here then leave! I don't have time to put up with your emotions. Oh and when you do leave take Maddie with you, I never wanted her anyways," I cringed with tears in my eyes as my father screamed at my mom. He was a monster, and abusive, immature man who does not deserve my mother.

"I will leave. Madison is my angel, the only reason I put up with you was so she could have a father and don't for a second think I would ever leave her with a horrible man like yourself!" My mom gawked back sternly. My abusive dad just slapped her across the face abruptly leaving a bloody gash in her skin and walked away with a drink, as usually. My mother had no idea that I had been watching the fights for the past few months. I have kept my self hidden and sat on the top of our stair case every night, watching, thinking, and hearing. Sometimes my father got physical and abusive but most of the time he was nasty with his words. My mom stormed to her room to pack a suit case as I watched quietly. They always fought but this time it was different, there was something wrong. This have been a mess in the Ziegler household ever since the death of my beloved sister, Mackenzie.

I sprinted as fast as lightning when I saw my mom coming up stairs. To surprise she did walk into Mackenzie's old room, which was still fully furnished, to pray, for a better life, for her and for me. But most importantly she would pray for Mackenzie, she would tell her that we missed her and she would always have a special place in her heart, but there was no praying tonight. My mother, Melissa headed straight for my room. I wanted to tell her everything was okay and she didn't have to worry about me but of course I didn't, I closed my eyes as if I was in a deep sleep. My mom quietly opened my closet and packed up everything she could and took out luggage out to the car. It was at that moment when the idea of leaving sprouted in my mind. We were leaving, and we were doing it fast.

"Maddie! Maddie! Sweetheart please wake up!" My mom said to me. It was 2:00 am and almost everything in my room was gone.

"Madison, you need to come with me to the car. Be quiet and quick, we need to get away from your father now.

"Where are we going?" I whispered with a worried expression. I knew we had no place to go, but I also knew that every second we stayed we were in danger. We were living as if we were prisoners to my father.

"Oh sweetheart, I don't know yet but we need to hurry. Don't worry I will always do what's right for you and right now we need to escape," my mother managed to say with tears in her eyes, "We're going to a better place." It was from that moment on that I knew my mother and I were on the run.